Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Planning a trip to VA Beach, help me out.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by divorced, Jan 21, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Heys guys, I'm planning a quick weekend run from Illinois to Va Beach to pick up a car and haul it back to Illinois. I was wondering how big the hills are out that way? I will be on I-64 the whole way. I was only out there once and it was a long time ago so I don't remember for sure, but it seems like where I-64 and I-77 run together had some big hills. I don't mind a bunch of up and down small hills and turns, but I was wondering if there are any downhill areas that are like 5 or 6 percent grade for a few miles? They reason I wonder is because I may use my '95 C1500 (184,xxx miles) with a 4.3 V-6 pulling a 16' trailer with NO trailer brakes to come out and get it. The car I'm hauling back will be a '92 Thunderbird. I just don't want to lose it down a hill because of brake fade and crash. Any help would be great!

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

ttt, nobody out there ever drive through the mountains? :whistle:

3. 87sickboy

87sickboy Registered Member

trip

say just come across ID to OH then PA down to DC then just head south. I have fam in IL-chicago and thats the way I go, alot less hills and step grades.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I may go that way. You are right though about a lot less hills. I used to drive from St. Louis to Philadelphia down to Baltimore and then back to St. Louis every week, so I know I-70 real well. It is about 130 miles more (about 2 1/2 hours) that way but it would be a lot easier on my little 4.3 Maybe I could go out empty through the mountains and come back the longer flat route? :thinking: Thanks for the suggestion!

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I live 25 minutes north of Va Beach. Gimme a holler if you wanna hit up hooters.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Ok, that sounds cool. I will post up again in this forum before I leave. It won't be for several weeks to a couple months though.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Not too many hills once you get off 81 and back on 64, pretty much down hill from there. I hauled my 71 from Ohio to Chesapeake w/ a 1/2 ton ford, it had a towing package. Going back there will be a couple long uphill grades but you should be fine. I did my trip last Feb., would have been nicer if it was warmer.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I drove to Illinois via Kentucky and Charleston, WV on 64 back in November. If I remember right there isat least 1 hill that is 5-6%. I drove back home across I-70 thru PA-WV-MD and there are 2-3 hills that are 5-6% and it sucks. My burb has a 350 vortec and I was only pulling my jeep cherokee on a trailer and I was cut down to almost 35mph and it started to get a little hot