Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Planning motor rebuild or swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Dec 17, 2006.

?

What motor-tranny combo should i use???

1. rebuild the 350 and go with 350-700

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. 6.2 with a rebuilt 700

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. 6.2 with a rebuilt 400

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. blow it up driving on main street nekkid

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

WEll the motor and tranny in my truck are both tired and starting to die. The tranny- 700 sometimes shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and i got a feeling it wont make it till summer. And the 350 is burning oil pretty darn fast.

So im starting to plan and gather parts for when one of them quits on me. I have another 350 block in the garage that i could rebuild-my buddy's dad owns a engine machine shop. Then just have the tranny rebuild and toss them back in and be good to go. But this is my dd so im really starting to look at getting a 6.2 and dropping that in. I also have a 400 tranny sitting in the garage that i could rebuild and put behind the 6.2 so i wouldnt have to worry about wrecking the 700.

Brad

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

gears? tire size? what kind of driving do you do daily? highway? mostly in town? any plans on towing with it? need a little more information to say really.

3. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well i have a 30 mile round trip each day to work and back and of course some casual driving here and there, not much highway driving but i want it to be highway friendly.

As for axles-gears and tires im gonna regear my 14 bolt and put it in the rear with a shackle flip. And convert the front to 8 lug. Probably 35" tires and 4.56 gears.

brad

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

stick with the 350/700 when you build the 350, build it to make boat loads of low RPM toque, then go with the 4.56s and 35s like you had planned. i'd keep your peak torque around 1800-2000

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

That sounds pretty reasonable.

6. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

When you rebuild the 350, spring for a 3.75" stroker crank. You can get a cheap Chinese Scat one for less than $200. There's no replacement for displacement, after all. :D