Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

planning to buy 72 blazer..help me out.....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DeafyHTowner, Oct 22, 2002.

1. DeafyHTowner

DeafyHTowner Registered Member

howdy y'all, i'm new to this site. anyways, I found a cool 1972 chevy blazer K5 with 350 engine in it that is for sale. I talked to the owner of it and he said that it has 6 inch suspsension lift, 3 inch body lift, and it has skyjacker soft ride springs, new exhaust, new custom seats, 38 inch super swampers, warn hub locks, etc. The guy that owns it is selling for 5,000 dollars. This will be my daily driver. So what do you think???? Help me out!! thanks!

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I got close to 8,000 in mine... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif daily driver rain or shine!

[​IMG]

20+ patch panels (floor boards, etc), fresh hi-per 350, T350, axles, tires, gears, winch, misc parts, etc, etc, etc.

So... sounds like a steal to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I paid $4K for mine. They great trucks and a lot of fun, but they are hard to make a daily driver because the MPG is less than desireable. My truck gets between 6-8 in town. Not much better on the highway. Check for rust in the rocker boxes, floor boards, by the tail gate and cracks in the frame by the steering box.

4. florida4x4

I think mileage is a sign of the tune / performance of the engine. I get BETTER mileage than my wife's Jeep GC. Depending on my mood (foot) I get from 11-15MPG in town with 35"... 17 on the highway at 65-70.

Cant wait to get the EFI installed and tuned. I expect to see 20MPG /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif uuuhh seriously /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif [​IMG]

5. DeafyHTowner

so is there a way that i can get better MPG??? I know the MPG will be pretty low. I really want that blazer! hehe... hmm....i love big tires... and i like the 38 super swampers but maybe i can sell those and put 35's in it?? will it get a better MPG? but first, I want to know if is there a way to get better MPG with 38" swampers?? thanks!! learned some stuff from y'all....i'm gonna check out the blazer to see if there is any rusts and other things...thanks again!! oh, another question....is it hard to fix or put new parts in the engine? it's 350 v8

6. DeafyHTowner

hey, i have the pic of the blazer that i want. but the problem is that i don't know how to put it on this... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but i clicked on "image", all i see is the URL thingy and the blazer pic is in my document file. how do i show it here so i can show it to you!! oh yeah, I am going to meet the owner and see the blazer!! he said that i can have a test drive!!

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

#1 Rule: Stay calm!

You are new to Blazers (obviously) so the world is a BIG and exciting place right now. It's easy to be sucked into making a deal that may or may NOT be a bargain!!!

The number one thing working against you right now is not knowing much about the truck. Get information on the engine, transmission, xfer case (probably an NP205 but don't assume anything!)...what axles are under it now (1/2 Ton that came stock are 12-Bolt and D44 front)....if the truck is on those axles with 38's you're in for a lot of headaches (breakage!)....

Get receipts for everything the seller wants to tell you is "new".... etc.

Get as much info as you can and post it up here, and we'll help you figure out what you are REALLY looking at.

OH, and another thing.....put a little more info in your profile, like City & State. There might be a local CK5er who can go over and help you look at the truck, but we won't know that until we know a bit more about you.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. florida4x4

Yeah stay calm and dont let your love (lust?) blind you. I gots a lot in my truck but the entire drivetrain is like new... I probably paid 1000 too much for the truck cause "I just had to have it". OOPS! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif (another problem I had at the time was no time to shop)

The best thing you can do it post some pics and give us more details. This is a great group of folks all with the same problem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

one more thing - Jimmy's are much cooler than blazers /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

9. DeafyHTowner

alright, thanks alot! I was wondering if how do you get a better gas mileage? I have a picture of the blazer but it's black and white though. I don't know how to put it on this post.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif anyways, i will give you as many info when i see the blazer. i hope it has dana 60 cuz i know it's pain in the butt if it has 38's with dana 44s cuz it could break though.

10. Greg72

Houston, Texas huh?

I'm sure there has to be a fellow CK5 member in the area who can meet up with you and do a little "pre-puchase inspection" of the K5.... for a 6-Pack of beer or maybe some lunch? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would be surprised if the truck had 1-Ton axles under it already (Dana 60 front, 14BFF Rear) but you never know! That would make the deal a lot better for you.... even if it was only 3/4-Ton (8-Lug Dana 44 front, 14BFF Rear) that would still be pretty good, and as long as you didn't abuse the truck, that front axle could survive long enough for you to locate a D60 to swap in.

More details....! More details....! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. bouncytruck

12. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Like Greg said - slow down and relax. I too am guilty of going off half cocked and now have a vehicle (although a nice one) that is worth half what I have in it.
    Really know what you expect of the truck, and plan on sinking a number (read 50+ a year) of weekends into keeping it a daily driver.
    Get someone who knows these trucks to meet you, but them a six pack or whatever, you can get really screwed. Deals that are too good to be true are, period.

13. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Greetings - I'm in Round Rock (barely north of Austin) - I love my '72, bought it for $2,500.00 about 5 years ago and have spent a little money on it since.

I'd say if you are inexperienced in "classic" (read that old and possibly undependable) cars you might want to find a friend to help check it out. A 30 year old car can easily be a dependable daily driver --- or at least can be built into one. For $5K, you'd hope it won't take much to get and keep it on the road.

good luck

14. florida4x4

I have to say that my truck is very dependable. but then again it's all new. 'cept for the paint /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif would I drive it to cali? yeah with some extra u-joints in hand /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. DeafyHTowner

that's cool!! Oh, when i get to see the blazer on sunday.... how can i know what kind of axle it is?? I know most stuff under the blazers cuz one of my friend told me what parts it is...ya know, like the frame body, axles, drive shaft, blah blah. I'm learning alot of stuff now. oh he's gonna go with me to check it out to see if it's a good one or not. anyways, i just sent the pic to the guy so he can post it on here.... well, i want to tell u something...it's pretty crappy pic because it is from the magazine and it's black and white... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but at least i have a pic to show you! oh, on sunday i'm goig to take a pic of it and show it to you so u can see it more clearer. oh yeah, when i was on the way home from work, i saw an 72' blazer k5 just like the one that i wanted on the magazine.... but it has different color, it is for 5,500 dollars. maybe i can check that one out just in case if the other blazer is not good for me to buy it.

16. Greg72

Deafy, (What's your REAL name by the way?) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take your time, the trucks are out there.....have you ever used Collector Car Trader online? I ran a quick search this morning and there are FIVE 1st Gen Blazers in Texas right now.....

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com

You will have choices, so if something you see doesn't look that great, keep looking.

17. bouncytruck

Here is the photo of the truck he is looking at:
    [​IMG]

18. Greg72

Hmmmm..

Looks a lot like this one:

[​IMG]

One of the five I saw in on that TraderOnline website.

19. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

RREnt, ringmaster4x4 and several others are close to you. i dont mean to volunteer them but i know theyre close. if i wasnt headed the other direction i'd come check it out. Check the rockers, body mounts, check the engine for leaks. find out what kind of axels and gears if you can. see if the doors are dragging. if they are you might need new body mounts but i doubt it with the body lift. i dont think you are gonne be able to get anykind of gas mileage with 38's. Greg 72 i think runs 38 but he has the gears, motor, and axels to keep his descent.

good luck

69K5
    Nathan

20. DeafyHTowner

oh, my name is Aaron and i'm deaf...yup yup..i can't hear at all and i use sign language. anyways, i will try to find some members that maybe help me out to check out the blazer... hey, that's the pic that i'm talking about!! hehe... thanks so i can see in a better way. Oh, well, i was thinkin (if i get the blazer) i will keep the 38's and buy maybe 35's for better gas mileage?? I really like 38's ALOT cuz it looks huge..hehe thanks for posting the pic!! hmm..i really like y'all...y'all seem pretty cool, heh /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif