Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plans For Shackle Flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Nov 26, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if anybody had any plans to make your own shackle flip. If someone had even some rough dimensions, I could whip up a nice organized plan in AutoCAD. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

Later,

-Derek
    1986 3/4 Ton & 1987 Blazer Project
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The way I understand it, your pivot point is going to stay the same. The only things that you'd have to do are to cut out the stock mount for clearance and reinforce it to make up for the cuts. You shouldn't really need any dimensions for that. Anyone else have a different take on it?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thats the way I was going to do it. Just cut a slot under the shackle as it is now and gusset it back to the bracket.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I have plans in AutoCad. Just use a factory one to draw up plans. All the hole locations are the same as the factory holes. All you have to do is offset the shackle mount slightly forward to allow for the springs arcing from the lift. Or you could just cut a big enough hole in the stock shackle brackets for the shackle to move freely.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

5. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Jeff,
    Could you post the AutoCAD plans? These are made out of just 1/4 inch steel, correct? Let me know man... Thanks!

Later,

-Derek

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would also like to see this as i plan on doing a shackle flip this spring so please post the plans thanks

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

7. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Jeff-
    Any luck with posting the plans? They would be a really big help.

Later,

-Derek

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I'm a little hesitant to post them, because they are similar to ORD's. And I don't want to put myself into a position that requires legal representation. Not to mention, that all I have heard is good things about Steve Watson, and I'm not going to step all over him, and undermine his business. A lot of people say his prices are too high, but when you take into consideration, all the work and time and engineering that go into his products, you can't expect him to give them away. I know it is hard to not look at the bottom line and say those cost too much, but you also have to realize that people need to eat, and they can't eat if every one assumes that the price that a company charges is more than the product is worth, when most of the time they don't realize the amount of time and money that have been invested in the product. I also don't want to have someone come back and say that they tried to build flips from the plans I posted and say that I'm liable for an accident, or worse. So I think it is everyones best interest to not post the plans. Sorry.

Jeff427

9. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'll measure mine when I'm at the house tonite and post something back here tommorrow.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

11. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    JF 89K5,

Thanks, its good to see my information is still floating around here. As far as any problems, I've had, none exist.

If you have any more question that I may beable to answer, let me know. I've had them on for almost 2 years.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

12. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

yes please post plans, i have means of makiing mine in a machine shop.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, probably time to put in our say in this matter (this is Stephen Watson from Offroad Design). There are a lot of ways of doing a shackle flip on the rear of a vehicle, no question about it. Building your own brackets certainly works, I scratch built my first couple of sets in the r&d stage of their development. If you have the time and facilities to develop your own, it could work for you. Please don't ask for advice from us on the geometry, it's not a big secret since anyone that has one of our kits can measure it, but this is our job, and we did spend our time and effort figuring it out and that time and effort is part of what you pay for with the bolt on kit.
    I still cannot endorse cutting the bottom out of the factory shackle hanger bracket. I know it works for some of you, I've seen it in action and in some cases it's worked for a reasonable period of time. BUT, I have seen the factory spring hangers bent outwards, I'm not sure the events that caused that to happen, but they were bent. We have customers that have basically wrecked their trucks and bent or torn the frames and were able to use our flip kit on their new truck. As I said before, cutting the factory bracket may work, but then again it may not. And it doesn't move the pivot point for the shackle.
    Thanks
    SW

SW-ORD

14. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I personaly don't think that the Shackle Flip Kit is to much money considering the R&D time that was put into them.
    I work in a machine shop and could make my own very easy, but I decided to buy the Flip Kit from Steve since he has already developed the best position for the shackle pivot point and all the tooling needed to reproduce the same product over and over again. I figure that I would have at least a 1/2 day into developing, measuring and drawing the plans up and then about a day making the tooling and the parts. Thats a day and a half of my time, which is about 12 hours if everything goes well. Since I figure my time is worth $26.00 a hour that equals $312.00 that I would have spent on making these correctly (and remember, thats if everything goes well). I figure I can spend $150.00 on the kit from steve and save myself at least $162.00 and 12 hours of my time and I am also asured that the parts that I am getting are tried and true. Just my 2 cents.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

15. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Stephen, and all who have the ORD flip kit on already, have you ever inverted the spring when it's coming back up from droop? I talked to the last owner of my sister in laws(I'm tired of typing that) blazer, and he said that he had this happen to him the first time he took the blazer out. He made some cool limit straps to prevent this from happening again(pics soon, I promise). I recently bought a kit on this board, and plan on putting it in soon. But I was wondering if I should make a similar set up, to prevent the inversion. Thanks for any input! And by the way Stephen, nice work on the brackets!

[​IMG]

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We have seen a couple of inversion cases, one was on my K5. Stock springs aren't much of a problem, it's the customs or lifted springs that will sometimes turn over. My solution was to weld a bar across the front of the shackle flip bracket to keep the shackle itself from turning up. A limit strap would do the same thing just as effectively. It's not a real common problem, but is something to watch out for.
    Thanks
    SW

SW-ORD

17. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response! I'll tinker with both ideas for stopping this. I have 8" springs now, and don't know if I'll go shorter yet or not.

[​IMG]

18. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

californiak5, this is exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post. When you take everything into consideration, like you did, then you can really see that they aren't unreasonably priced.

Steven, thanks for reading my email, and for taking the time to post on this thread.

Jeff427