Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plasma Cutter/Welder???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Michk5, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    First off, I'm a total newb with this stuff...the only experience I've really had was in precision machine trade class in H.S. We did a little bit of everything about 6 months worth of training. I'm looking to buy plasma cutter and a welder for some upcoming fab work. As far as the plasma goes as long as it can sever 1/2" and cut 3/8" (clean) it should fit the bill for what I need. Also, I'd like a reliable welder that will be easy to use/maintain. Basically this stuff will be used to make bumpers, sliders, skid plates etc. I know that most of you will probably say that I don't have enough experience to tackle such a job...but to hell with that...I can do it.LOL I know with some practice I can lay a good bead again. There are so many machines out there and I don't really know how big of a machine I need. Can someone point me in the right direction??? :confused:

Matt

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you're wanting a machine to sever 1/2 inch then get ready to drop about $2-$2500. The small plasma cutter that I bought that severs 1/4 was $1250.

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

plasma cutters are nice but 1/2" capabilities are gonna cost some serious dough.

I acquired a MIG/TIG unit with 185 amp/220 VAC service that serves me well,

A 185 amp MIg is fine for you, don't mess with the flux core units just run a 75/25 mix of CO2/ARGON......you'll like it

4. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

5. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Do you have a specific model/make that you recommend?? How much is too much for a set-up like this?? I would rather spend a little more to get something that has proven it's capabilities.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I bought a Hypertherm 380 that looks identical to the Miller (except for color), it even has the same torch. It works real good, and I bought it locally for $1250 including tax.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I did alot of shopping and comparing before I bought my plas. I almost bought a Miller plas but everybody I talked to says "Miller makes welders and should continue to make just welders." If you want a good plas get a Hypertherm. If you want a good wire feed welder get a miller.

As for welder size get a Miller 175. Should do you fine.

Plasma size I'd stretch it for the Hypertherm powermax 600. It's capacity is larger than what you describe but these machines are rated in perfect conditions and there capacities are always higher than what you will normally see.

The kinda money you are looking at spending you don't want to ever come up short. That being said you may want to shoot a bit higher on the welder as well. In the end its all up to you. Find yourself a good supplier and talk to them and see what they recommend. Linweld is a good place to start and I've never had them try to sell me something I didn't need. They want you to come back for your consumables so generally will try to help not just sell. Take your time and buy machines that will serve you well for a long time to come.

8. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

Plasma, IMO, Hypertherm all the way. Plasma cutters are the only thing they manufacture. Like Cyberfire stated, Powermax 600 is a great choice for what you're doing. My current machine is a Powermax 1250, had a Powermax 900 before that and a Thermal Dynamics XL100 before that. I'm sold on HT.

I think a Millermatic 175 is a good choice for light fab work, as a matter of fact I just bought a new one just yesterday just so I'd have a small machine for around the house for light stuff. For the bigger stuff I have a Lincoln Invertec V-350 Pro power source and a LN 25 feeder which seems to know no limits. A little on the overkill side for most automotive type fabrication but hey, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Never cheap out on tools and equipment if you're planning on being even halfway serious about the job you're gonna do with them.

just my .02

9. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys...It appears both of these are good machines. Does miller make the 185 anymore? The only thing I found was the 175 and 210. While searching on ebay for cutters I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7508807530&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT --I know 0 feedback...this was used simply as an example.

Are these junk?? After some searching it seems these are good machines (Hobart) but as of now I like the Powermax 600. How much better is the Miller 185 compared to the 175?? If Miller doesn't make the 185 anymore I think I may go with the 210 because it's always better to have a little extra...you're actually saving money if you only have to buy it once.

Thanks again
    Matt

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

They use these at work but i think with a LN10 or LN15 wire feeder. Use them alot for touch up welding and that is alot. Very little problems out of them but for welders messing up the torch leads. Have not learned about programing in these power supply. On the robots we use powerwave 455 weld units and i cannot think of the feeder used.

Don't know much about home welders.

11. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

the 210 is the replacement for the old 185. A buddy of mine recently got one, I've tried it out and liked it alot. If you can spend the extra cash and don't mind a larger machine that is not as portable by all means get the 210 over the 175. I only bought the 175 because I can lug it around by myself if need be.