Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! Plasma Cutters !!! Any recommendations.....?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I feel like I just won the lottery....the California State Unemployment sent me a "retro-active" check for my period of unemployment last year.

I wasn't expecting to get it (about $900!)....so I'd better hurry up and spend it on something GOOD so that I really appreciate it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I was thinking about a plasma cutter, but don't have much info yet. I looked at Lincoln (kinda $$$) and the one in the Petersons 4-Wheel article last month (HTP Microcut 380) but I don't really know how to tell what makes a "good" one vs. a piece of "junk".

I currently have a 220V Lincoln 175+ MIG...so I can pretty easily weld up to 3/8" stuff. I was thinking of getting a plasma cutter that would be a good compliment to this welder?... It would be nice to have a good range of adjustments so that I can cut not only the THICK stuff, but also be able to set the power low enough to do more delicate sheetmetal work too....

I know there are a LOT of welders out there, so I'm just going to throw the question out and let you guys give me some direction!

THANKS! ......let's hurry up and spend this money before my wife finds another use for it! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine is a Pak Master 38XL. Cuts 3/8 no problem, short areas will do 1/2" if you run it on 220V on 110V max is 1/4" Have to use your own compressor cause it is not built in. I like it. Works well and the 25' lead option is the only way to go. $1200.00 for mine but if you need on with a compressor built in you are looking at about $200.00 extra.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Man I realy wish I was you neighbor now!!
    Licoln or Miller and you can't go wrong!
    I'm in the same boat as you, never used one but sure would be a nice addition to the man space!!
    When I grow up I wana be Just Like You!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

I don't know what tools & equipment you have, but for 550- you can get oxy. ace. owner bottles with reg. & a cutting torch kit.
    Plus no power or air needed.

5. Greg72

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When I grow up I wana be Just Like You!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

...WHAT?!?! You mean we have to grow up? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm trying my hardest to be a kid for the rest of my life....!!!!

Grown-ups have BORING hobbies anyway.
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

WOOT! Greg is EVERYONE's new bestest friend! I bet you will not be having to pay for beer and pizze for a Long
    time

7. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I talked my wife into getting me a miller spectrum 2050. It is sweet. It will sever 7/8" . It cuts steel siding like drawing a line with a pencil. You can make templates and duplicate stuff. The cut does not get so hot as to severely change temper. It doesn't warp or distort stuff. Dross picks off with side cutters. It leaves a clean cut requiring no grinding or cleanup. I love my wife.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif For a Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Greg72

OK...... sounds good and all, but how much is a bad boy like that gonna cost?

It's gotta be a lot the way your are talking all lovey-dovey about your wife! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Zakk,

Yes, I get the point about LOOOONG! Now please "edit" out about 30 of those "O"s so that this thread isn't so miserable to read/scroll/read/scroll......

doyougetmydriftbestestfriend? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Check this out! on board plasma cutter pretty wild! just thought I'd throw it at ya, pretty cool idea!
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

As soon as I clean up my credit card I am going to buy a Hypertherm PowerMax 1000. There are a couple of companies selling them on ebay for around $1900.

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

13. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I think we ended up spending 2200 bux for it. It's worth it though. It's a tough unit. My rule of thumb is always getting twice as much as I need so I don't have to sweat the duty cycle.

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

This is an easy question......As far as I'm concerned, there are no other plasma cutters but those made by Hypertherm. In every fab shop I've worked in, we've had Hypertherms. Where I work now we have 4 Hypertherm PowerMax 1000's. The last place I worked we had 2 PowerMax 600's. Hypertherem doesn't make anything but plasma cutters. The consumables are alot cheaper...Nozzles, tips, electrodes ect ect. I've actually been lookin at the PowerMax 600 to go with my Lincoln PowerMig 200 welder....I think the shop here in town quoted like $1600. I think the 380 was like $1000....Not totally sure though. If ya wanna come up this way and test drive one of the of the plasma cutters at my work, You are more than welcome.

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Check the dealers on Ebay, they have some awesome prices on Hypertherm stuff.

16. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

hypertherm gets my vote and got my money too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Greg72

Peter,

Is the e-Bay stuff going to be "grey market" equipment? I'd like a low price, but if I get no warranty it probably isn't worth it.

BTW -&gt; Hypertherm seems to be the most popular choice among the CK5ers here. I took a look at their website and the Powermax 380 looks like the one that will do what I want without being "overkill" price &amp; performance-wise.

18. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

These guys put Hypertherm stuff up on Ebay every other week. http://www.norco-inc.com/

Distributors
    Boise
    Norco, Inc.
    1121 West Amity Road
    Boise, ID 83705-5493
    (208) 336-1643 Tel
    (208) 384-1720 Fax

If you find someone selling a cutter on ebay that is a dealer, doubler check their credentials on Hypertherm's website.

http://hypertherm.com/dist_map.html

Later.