Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

plasma tvs make my head spin

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 24, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have a technical mind, and I must say, Plasma TVs make my head spin. Doesn't help that everyone seems to say something different. I think the big problem is they all want to treat me like Joe Schmoe of the street who doesn't know jack about anything technical. Oh well, hopefully the decision I'm making turns out well. I must say the TV, looks good.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what did ya get?

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

It's the sales people then who are making your head spin, not the Plasma TV's. They didn't try to coerce you or pressure you into buying this one or that one did they? Salespeople who do that to you need to be told:

"Since you're pressuring me to buy it, I'm not buying it for that very reason, and your store has just lost a customer, me, for good. I ain't ever coming back for anything else. I advise you to quit pressuring customers if you want to keep them."

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I would recommend an LCD or a DLP over plasma. The main reason I do not like plasma is the screens only last 5-8 years and when it goes there is no way to repair it. With LCD or DLP there is a bulb that can be changed. It is only personal preference. Plasma does have some nice images though. The main difference between the 3 other than the way they produce the image is the "tone" of the blacks on the screen. Hope I have not confused you even more.

Ira

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know all of that, and that isn't actually very accurate.

Even the low grade Plasmas have about 40K hours of screen life. Say you watched TV 10 hours a day, that is only 3650 hours a year. Thats about 10 years of life. The nicer ones are boasting 60-80K hours.

Replacing a bulb each year would suck IMO. That and the DLP and LCD projection(there are of course LCD flat panels that don't have bulbs but have bad view angle issues) are not flat. This is being hung on the wall.

We are going with this Phillips unit, local Best Buy didn't have one in stock and Dad is set on working Saturday to set the whole "theater" up so we are gonna go down to Plymoth Meeting and pick one up on Sat morning. It isn't the best unit by far, but it is better than the cheaper EDtvs and all around seems to be the best one for the money. The ambient light thing is actually kind of cool. It changes with whatever is the dominant color on the screen at the time.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya just as with anything else with technology they are constantly making upgrades and advances. I was not implying you did not research was just throwing out the info that I had. My personal dream TV is Sony's new 70" LCD Projection:D .

Ira