Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic Box in Gas Tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Last year I had my tank out fixing the hose that fell off the fuel pump. I saw that the plastic box didn't have any thing holding it in place other than the two studs to line it up on. Well since then the fuel float gets stuck at half tank, I am assuming it’s because of the plastic box sloshing around in there. Is there any thing I might be able to try to keep that box from moving around? Thanks.

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

yeah, take it out and throw it in the trash and buy a fuel cell.. then you can put it anywhere you want and fix any problems and also cut off some weight...

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

3. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Yeap.. Out on the trail. Fuel pump went out yesterday had to take the tank out. Since I had it out, I was going to investigate the plastic box problem. I found two washers that held it in place. I didn't like the setup so I took rubber tubing, cut about half an inch and froced it over the two studs. I don't think I will have a floating box problem again.

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

About the fuel cells... there was a recent article in one of the 4x4 mags. Seems the foam in the fuel cells tends to disentigrate after time and plugs the heck out of fuel filters. A clever alternative was to pull out the foam and replace it with a bunch of oil bottles that were cut full of holes.

Cruisin in my '73.

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i've never seen a fuel cell that had foam in it.....what are these used for???? the only ones i would buy are the plastic ones like in a drag car or nascar...some of these have a plastic bladder in them in case tank cracks but i don't know of any that have foam...

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I thought all the drag and NASCAR cells have foam in them so when they crash the fuel doesn't spray out so bad. Saw something about it on TNN a while back. Maybe the foam is an option for street use??

Cruisin in my '73.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Goose your right its a RULE to have those things in for that specific reason. They arent designed for long term useage. Foam does degrade in fuel. If you mix packing peanuts and diesel together and you can have some fun playing with fuel gelatin. On second thought dont do that you might kill yourself with the unstable fumes.

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Ok, your little plastic box is called a baffle. It's purpose is to keep the fuel pump in fuel when the tank gets low and the fuel is splashing around. I personally had a very bad experience with mine. Mine was only holding on my one stud and it swung and knocked my fuel pump half off of the pickup causing my motor to run like crap. Rebuilt the TBI, replaced the fuel filter, and a couple of sensors befor i yanked the tank. Personally, I reanchored my baffle back down. I haven't run a car without one and i don't know what would happen with low fuel, or at an incline, etc... might stall out from lack of gas. I don't know. Maybe someone else does. - doug

Doug Krebs