Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic coatings for paint?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Nov 14, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

This one sounds weird, but I want to throw it out anyways. A guy I work and wheel with, told me today that there is something out on the market that you can use to protect your paint. He says its a plastic like material that is magnetized and just sticks to your paint and protects from scratches. If this is true does anyone know where I could get this? Or is he blowing smoke up my ass?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well the only thing I know of is a tape by 3M I think. Its just clear and you put on your rockers and stuff. Eastwood company sells it.... http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think he's talkin about body armor its vinyl with a magnet on the back

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Do you know where I can find body armor at? Im trying to save the paint on my Blazer so it doesnt turn into a rust bucket. Already had one of those. Thanks.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

try searching truck shield or body armor I found some stuff but not the actual web site and it aint cheap, another option might be to go to a vinyl sign shop and talk to them

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think you are looking in the wrong places to prevent rust. In my experience, Chev's rust from the inside out, unlike some most foreign cars apparently.

Anyways, the places you see problems, like rocker panels, lower door edges, tailgates, beds, seat belt anchors, wouldn't be covered by the armor stuff.

My room mate had some stuff applied that they call "Chip Gard" I think, and they gave him a piece. Surprise, its 3M stuff, clear plastic with an adhesive backing. Not real high tech, thats for sure.

I think you'd be much better off coating the "hidden" places with something like POR-15 (basically good paint) than trying to prevent rust from the outside. I recently made some pieces that "fill in" the gap in front of the rear wheels...no longer can water/mud/whatever be thrown up under the body, which is how the seat belt anchors rot out. I will be doing the same on the backside of the rear wheelwells, because I believe the rear of the bed and hinges rot out for the same reason...tires are able to throw junk directly into all the cracks and crevices back there.

Besides the GM exterior paint peeling, I can't think of one place that rots (that I've seen) that is "out in the open" and doesn't start UNDERNEATH something else, like wheel well trim, or the Stainless door edge guards, or windshield gaskets, etc.

IMO

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup I agree with Dorian 100%! Under coat it with POR15 and then get some of that cheap spray rubberized under coating and you will have an added protection barrier as well. That is what I have been doing on mine. Also I would look into a Heruliner or other color bed liner for the rockers and such. I'm doing everything below my silverado stripe. The members I have seen with it done, it looks and works great

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

where did you do your search for truck shield or body armor? I have been looking, but Im not even getting close. Its like no one makes this stuff. Thanks for you help.