Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic dashboard cover-Getting ready to slap that sucker on. advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoAngel, Apr 17, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I did a quick search and not much has been posted.
    All it says on the instructions is to sand the surface. Is there anything else to worry about? Also is the adhesive good that comes with it or should I get something better? I tried the fit and it seems to fit fine. There is a few raised areas where the speakers are, should I do something in those spots?
    It seems easy enough, but I don't want to glue it on only to find out I should have done something else.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are the raised areas around cracks? If so, I would think it would be best to take a razor and trim the area back until it's flat.

I would also wipe the origial dash with some sort of cleaner (sorry, don't know what to recommend) after sanding it just to be sure the glue sticks good.

What brand is it? Was the color right or did you have to paint it? Post some pics of it when you're done, I've been thinking about getting one for my truck.

3. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

The previous owner had cut out the areas around the speakers and it was raised so I took the razer to it to flatten it. There is a crack and I'm going to do the same to that area too. The interior is gray and it matched perfectly. When I tested it to see if it fit, it fit like a glove. It is amazing how well they look. I will definitely show you the picks. You will want one. I got mine for Christmas from Leadfoot. Not sure who he ordered from. For about $100 bucks, you can't go wrong.(unless you screw it up somehow, which is what I'm trying to avoid, with my crappy luck) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Use something like acetone to clean the dash before you apply the adhesive. Got to cut the years of armor all off of it. Let us know what brand it is.

5. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What brand is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he ordered it from the LMC Truck catalog. If not, I know for sure that they have them for $99.95

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm pretty sure those dashes are made by coverlay. Regardless, here's the INSTRUCTIONS

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used one in an old Silverado I once had, got it from J.C. Whitney really cheap. Basically a (relatively) hard plastic shell. Painted with vinyl die and it looked ok, but was clearly a cover if anyone looked close. I'll probably get one like it for my son's K5 project...

8. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Thank you so much. That is a big help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Yes, Coverlay makes them, but LMC sells them as well.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

One of the people I use to work with had one installed in a older Mercedes. New dash was going to set him back $1500 PLUS labor. The cover was $200 Installed on site. I was impressed. If you didn't look for signs that it was a cover it was not noticable. The only places you could tell was when the doors were open you could see the edge and a couple places where the dash has some gages recessed you could see the edge. The average person that wasn't anal retentive about autos would never have noticed.

10. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Make sure hget a good prep, for sanding I would use a red Scothbrite pad, they are great for sanding in and around cracks. You can also use lacquer thinner to clean it off before painting. I would wipe it down first as to not sand the the armorall and everything else in any further, sand it, then wipe like a nother 3 times to be safe.

Just my 2 cents, that is how we used to prep them for painting at the body shop I used to work for, should work great as a prep before installing cover. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif