Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic fuel tanks???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Do any of you guys have experience with plastic fuel tanks from MTS Company (www.mtscompany.com)?

The baffle in the old tank in my '88 K5 was broken and messing with my sender. On top of that, the tank was also starting to rust out where mud was getting caught between the tank and skid plate. Determined that I didn't want to deal with a baffle breaking again or the tank rusting, I ordered one of these tanks from MTS company. When talking to them on the phone, I made sure that the tank was properly baffled since I have a TBI. I installed the new plastic tank today along with a new delphi pump (what happened to Delco?) and the fit and finish of the tank was excellent and was pretty much identical in shape to my old 31 gallon tank. I then dumped in a couple gallons of left over gas from my old tank and an additional couple gallons from a gas can. On my initial test drive, my engine was starting to stumble (not cut off completely) around hard turns so I figured that I just needed more gas since I didn't figure I had put much gas in (gauge was reading under 1/8 th). I filled my tank all the way up and it only took 23 gallons!?

I suppose my main question is how many gallons do you TBI guys typically have in your tank before your engine starts to stumble? This was kind of a disappointment to me because I want a 31 gallon tank, not a 23 gallon tank. Could the baffle design in my plastic tank possibly be less effective than the original design? I'm just a little pissed about it after spending most of my day changing this tank out.

Thanks so much,

Wes

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Assuming you looked at the stock baffles that were messed up originally, how did the new one compare?

My new tank is baffled as well (aftermarket) but I don't think the design is as effective as GM's original, even though its not as breakage prone.

I was around 7 gallons climbing a nice steep bank (and idling there) and didn't have a problem with stalling FWIW.

3. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

The baffle in the MTS tank appeared to be constructed of wedges which were molded into the bottom of the tank. I don't know if that baffle is as deep as the stock on but, with it being molded into the tank, I know it will never come loose. It just frustrates me because I dont know whether to call the company and demand a refund, ship it back, order a new one and then spend a day installing, or to just live with the one I have now. Does any one have the Auto Zone tank which is made by Spectra premium industries and, if so, what kind of baffle does it utilize?

Thanks so much,

Wes

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If its just wedges in the tank, it's not what you need.

The stock piece is really a sump that doesn't prevent fuel slosh, it's a big "cup" with a pathway that allows fuel in/out on flat ground, but not out once the rig is tilted at an angle, or when fuel tries to move as in a corner, etc.

The one I bought I'm not sure how it's designed. It's metal, I believe I posted up a few years back when I got it, who I got it from. Wasn't much comparatively, maybe $125. Steel.

The sump in it is different, but I didn't put fuel in it before install to see how it works. It's a metal piece welded to the bottom of the tank, that has holes in the bottom of it that has to allow fuel in, although I'm not sure how it doesn't escape through the same holes...you can't see how they dump fuel because they dump between the bottom of the tank and the sump.

Without putting fuel in it, I guess I can't say it's better, worse, or equivalent to the stock design.