Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic grill repair?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone successfully repaired a plastic grill (1986) with glue or something? I think it's pretty standard to crack at the attachment points, but I'm not sure if there's any hope of a fix holding up.

This is for a CUCV, so I'm not really interested in an aftermarket metal grill. Wouldn't look right, plus the military junk needs extra holes.

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I dont know if plastic weld would work on this for you. Glue isn't the best answer. If it isn't visable try drilling out some holes and pop rivet it together with a piece of tin.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used PVC glue and i glued it from the back so you couldnt see the glue on the finished side at all...just the hairline crack

4. kauffman

kauffman Newbie

I used stainless safety wire...

My K10 grill broke in several places long ago. As I once raced motorcycles, I was used to holding things together with safety wire. My grill has held together this way for over eight years now, which was cheeper than buying a replacement grill.

kauffman

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

If you can put a small peice of steel over the crack at the back then do that and JB Weld it on. Or rough it up and use fiberglass.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i used jb weld on mine too and it worked good...until a huge rock came and smashed it in...

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't sound like a new grill is that good of an option anyway since you'd have to cut it, but you can get the 80's grills from "certi-fit" for about $20, if you have one close to you.

8. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. Mine is cracked so that the mounting tab is broken off from the rest (actually, two of them, plus a crack in the middle). It doesn't really seem like wiring it up is an option, unless I got fancy and drilled a little hole for the wire or something.

Maybe I'll try the PVC glue and see what happens. No loss to me if it doesn't work, I guess. And if new plastic grills are that cheap, I could also think about getting one and cutting the holes. You can tell that the CUCV grills are just regular ones cut down, nothing fancy.

9. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I found a stock deluxe grill that has 3 metal stips across the grill. I found this stronger then my plain stock grill with out the trim. I also to a glue gun and filled in the valleys in the back. This strengthed a crack and has made the whole grill really strong.

10. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

Last week I sent an 81 k5 to the junkyard, you coulda had the grill off it... :doah:

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

plastic weld that mofo.... soldering iron and some scrap plastic...