Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic in Microwave BAD IDEA

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Cricket

    Cricket 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2004
    Posts:
    8,224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Colorado
    No plastic containers in microwave
    No plastic water bottles in freezer
    No plastic wrap in microwave

    Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in their newsletter and it's definitely worth noting. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer.

    Don't freeze your plastic water bottles with water as this releases dioxins in the plastic. Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle Hospital was on a TV program explaining this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the hospital.) He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxins into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies. Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, without the dioxins. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc. should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper
    isn't bad, but you don't know what's in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we might remember when some of the fast food Restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons. To add to this, Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked, with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food; use paper towels.

    :eek: :eek1: :yikes:
     
  2. unclematty

    unclematty 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2003
    Posts:
    3,164
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    SLC UT
    everything will kill ya if ya get enough of it!
     
  3. Cricket

    Cricket 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2004
    Posts:
    8,224
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Colorado
    Well as much as I use the Microwave you may as well call me Dioxin Man.
     
  4. bigblazer433

    bigblazer433 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2002
    Posts:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    El Reno Oklahoma
    ain't that the truth. Hell, the cotton in the shirt your wearing is lethal to a human if enough of it gets in your blood stream.
     
  5. spincast375

    spincast375 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    Posts:
    194
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Tennessee, U.S.A.
    hmm... wonder how many of us are screwed for making ice in plastic icecube trays???
     
  6. diesel4me

    diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2003
    Posts:
    17,561
    Likes Received:
    942
    Location:
    Massachussetts
    Oh Well.....

    Guess I'm dead then!--I was using plastic wrap over my supper when re-heating it every day since we got a microwave about 20 years ago....but I dont care..if all the brake lining dust I inhaled while turning rotors hasn't killed me,or all the gas I swallowed siphoning it as a kid for my go-kart,or the 6 million marlboro's I smoked until I quit,and all the fumes I inhaled from mixing paint for 20 years...and countless other things I did...I dont think a few dioxins will matter much... :blush:

    My friends mom E-mails me with all those "scary" E-mails,I just got the exact one you posted from her friday!..

    The last one warned about not drinking anything out of cans,like soda or beer--it goes on to tell how RATS piss and crap on the cans while stored at warehouses or in the stores backroom,and how deadly it can be if you dont wash it off first!--THANKS!!--now every can of soda or beer I touch will make me nauseous!!!... :mad:

    One question???--is there anything GOOD for us????--at all???--seems like everything we eat,drink wear,or DO is destined to kill us!!!... :screwy: :yikes:
     
  7. sled_dog

    sled_dog 1 ton status

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Posts:
    16,870
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    Ehh rat **** isn't so bad if you've had it over time. Immunities never build if you are never exposed to the problem.
     
  8. boggerless

    boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Posts:
    22,728
    Likes Received:
    96
    Location:
    dearborn heights, Michigan
    THAT is very true!we have people at work that replace the grates on our grill every year because they are scared of cancer.??burn that crap off,these are the same people that will die from black mold cuz they never leave the house.sealed in like pop tarts. breathing the same stagnant air.flip it from air to heat. :rotfl: :rotfl: then the one outdoor activity they do, they turn into a health concern.?????? no one get's outta this life alive.
     

Share This Page