Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic in Microwave BAD IDEA

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

No plastic containers in microwave
    No plastic water bottles in freezer
    No plastic wrap in microwave

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in their newsletter and it's definitely worth noting. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Dioxin Carcinogens cause cancer.

Don't freeze your plastic water bottles with water as this releases dioxins in the plastic. Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle Hospital was on a TV program explaining this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program at the hospital.) He was talking about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxins into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Dioxins are carcinogens and highly toxic to the cells of our bodies. Instead, he recommends using glass, Corning Ware or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, without the dioxins. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc. should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper
    isn't bad, but you don't know what's in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we might remember when some of the fast food Restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons. To add to this, Saran wrap placed over foods as they are nuked, with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food; use paper towels.

:eek: :eek1: :yikes:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

everything will kill ya if ya get enough of it!

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well as much as I use the Microwave you may as well call me Dioxin Man.

4. bigblazer433

bigblazer433 Registered Member

ain't that the truth. Hell, the cotton in the shirt your wearing is lethal to a human if enough of it gets in your blood stream.

5. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

hmm... wonder how many of us are screwed for making ice in plastic icecube trays???

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh Well.....

Guess I'm dead then!--I was using plastic wrap over my supper when re-heating it every day since we got a microwave about 20 years ago....but I dont care..if all the brake lining dust I inhaled while turning rotors hasn't killed me,or all the gas I swallowed siphoning it as a kid for my go-kart,or the 6 million marlboro's I smoked until I quit,and all the fumes I inhaled from mixing paint for 20 years...and countless other things I did...I dont think a few dioxins will matter much... :blush:

My friends mom E-mails me with all those "scary" E-mails,I just got the exact one you posted from her friday!..

The last one warned about not drinking anything out of cans,like soda or beer--it goes on to tell how RATS piss and crap on the cans while stored at warehouses or in the stores backroom,and how deadly it can be if you dont wash it off first!--THANKS!!--now every can of soda or beer I touch will make me nauseous!!!... :mad:

One question???--is there anything GOOD for us????--at all???--seems like everything we eat,drink wear,or DO is destined to kill us!!!... :screwy: :yikes:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ehh rat **** isn't so bad if you've had it over time. Immunities never build if you are never exposed to the problem.

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

THAT is very true!we have people at work that replace the grates on our grill every year because they are scared of cancer.??burn that crap off,these are the same people that will die from black mold cuz they never leave the house.sealed in like pop tarts. breathing the same stagnant air.flip it from air to heat. :rotfl: :rotfl: then the one outdoor activity they do, they turn into a health concern.?????? no one get's outta this life alive.