Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic intake for snorkel setup with cone filter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 13, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm considering puting a snorkel type intake on my K5. When I get into the mud sometimes the fan sucks mud up and sprays the motor(sure it happens to some others too) so I just want a remote filter on like the fenderwell or such. Maybe place it near the rad by one of those holes in the core support.

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The first thing I did to keep water out of the air cleaner was this:
    [​IMG]

Then once I got tired of scrubbing the mud off the motor I switched to electric fans (you can see a single one in the first picture but I later went with dual as shown below).
    [​IMG]

I still have water problems under the hood because of the crank pulley slinging it but it's a lot better without the fan doing it also:
    [​IMG]

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I want to go Electric fan but don't know all that goes with it and the technical stuff with relays and all makes my head spin sometimes(I'm good with that kind of stuff normally /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Short of an adapted Land Rover snorkel from Safari, this is my favorite snorkel setup.

http://ox.users.superford.org/SNORKEL/

Yeah, I know it's a Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif , but I am planning on doing something similar. I like the Safari one, but I don't want it hanging off the side of my already wide truck.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

That's some "novel" thinking on that Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Don't think I'ld want to add to my interior noise though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Intersting air cleaner setup... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the plastic snorkel he has on top of his carb is what I was looking for, any idea where it came from?

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, damn good question... 1st time i checked this thread I just glanced at the 1st few pics... it wasnt my style so I moved on. I just saw that last pic though... wow! thats exactly what I want!! looks like a q-jet its on too... where u get one of them?! me wants!!

j

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the plastic snorkel he has on top of his carb is what I was looking for, any idea where it came from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll find out and let you guys know /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll find out and let you guys know /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that was quick. Here's his email back to me:

<font color="green">Off an 80's buick turbo, not grand national, just the turbo t-type or whatever it was. It's pretty limiting in flow (kills top end vs open carb, but that may also be due to 3" PVC tubing and bends), but would be good for 5.0 or less engines I'd guess. </font>

It's not what everyone's looking for, but I was planning on running a stock air cleaner box with some PVC attached to the intake tube and a cone filter at the end of that when I'm not wheeling. For wheeling, I can detach that, add a round filter in the cleaner and attach the snorkel to the PVC.

10. jekbrown

that sucks that it limits flow n stuff. curses. I wish someone would make a cheap alternative. an air cleaner with a nice big round 4" hose attachment plus all the various ports n stuff that the stock cleaner has. The stock flattened oval shaped intake on my stock cleaner is lame. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I'm sure everyone's seen this, but from the not cheap realm, the best option seems to be this:
    http://www.ramairbox.com/home_page.html

Back in the cheap realm, I do plan on cutting my (stock) oval intake about half way up which will open it up a little.

12. jekbrown

yeah, them ramair boxes are kick azz. they even have one with just 1 intake that'd be just right for my rig. They are also $pendy, as you mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    That plastic thing is what I'm looking for. Something like that to strap tubing on. I guess its not easy to find. And $250 for an intake for an EFI truck that would be modified just for that piece is well pointless.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For me, the problem seems to be to get something that fits my edelbrock carb.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh? I have an edelbrock as well. QJet on yours?

16. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> That is the same air filter setup I have and you can normally find them on ebay for like $40.00 new...Definitely is perfect for attaching a snorkel tooo it... </font>

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any idea where to find it? ha

18. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> That is the same air filter setup I have and you can normally find them on ebay for like $40.00 new...Definitely is perfect for attaching a snorkel tooo it... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Any of those fit a quadrajet? With most of the ones I've seen, you're lucky if they go back far enough to fit a TBI.

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure everyone's seen this, but from the not cheap realm, the best option seems to be this:
    http://www.ramairbox.com/home_page.html

Back in the cheap realm, I do plan on cutting my (stock) oval intake about half way up which will open it up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks cool, but how water tight is it? All those seperate pieces would scare me from a sealing standpoint. The whole idea of a snorkel setup is to be water tight and I don't *think* that fits the bill (it works great if you want to plumb cold air intakes to though). The air-raid system a few posts down from yours seems to be a better alternative for a snorkel (maybe even a cheaper one too).

20. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I don't know how deep you went into their page, but they have a
    lot of options , a lot of which parts/sealing-wise are the same as a stock air cleaner which I think would make a fine snorkel (with some minor mods).

Also, (as far as I'm concerned) you don't need it water-tight as much as water resistant with the opening high. If you've got sitting (not splashing) water over the top of your engine, you're gonna have some other major problems. [Let me quantify that by saying I am talking about gas engines.]