Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic paint.....Which one works?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

So I went to Autozone and picked up a can of vinyl and fabric paint. Painted a couple small things and the paint held great. I painted on of my door panels and it didn't stick. WTF?? I prepped right, and I even used adhesion promoter.

So my question is which paints have y'all used and did they work?

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem with my door panels. But it stuck at first and after about a week the paint started chipping. The autozone stuff isn't great quality. I ordered some VHT stuff from Eastwood. I haven't tried it yet, but I will be repainting them with in a few weeks.

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Well let post up pics when you do, I want to get hot on painting the Burb but I don't want to waste my time or money.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

none???

I've mixed and sold auto paint for many years...Only stuff I thought was any good was a few brands, S-E-M , and "Mar-Hyde"...both were liquid,more like a dye than "paint",and had to be mixed, and put on with a spray gun...they sell it in spray cans now too,but I have seen it peel off in short order,even with careful preperation-(they reccomend a thourogh cleaning with laquer thinner before painting)....it could be the new "enviromentally friendly" formula doesn't adhere like the "old stuff",or another theory I have is....

I think the plastic expands and contracts more than the paint can during heating/cooling cycles..even the "good" stuff wears off after awhile ,on armrests and seats where you rub against them..

I got some overspray of regular spray paint on my kick panels,and so far its held like glue!--figures because I DONT want it there,even the "wrong" paint is permanent!:doah: --I tried using carb cleaner,brake cleaner,and even brake fluid,but all it did was soften the plastic!..:mad:

I used latex paint on vinyl siding, and shutters on our house, and its stayed on just fine for years,even in the blazing sun..but its chalky,and rubs off on clothes--no good for automotive use I guess...:crazy:

5. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

i used the autozone stuff on my door panels and dash. the only time they showed wear is when i stepped on them to get to the roof. as for prepping before painting, i did it kind of ghetto and used steel wool to get all the dirt out of the nook and crannys while scuffing up everything real good. i figured 23 year old panels couldn't look any worse than what i was doing to them. everything has held up real good for 2years so far.

6. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Krylon Fusion, the stuff should be called tinted airplane glue, because I think thats pretty much what it is. Everything plastic I've painted with it, you literally gouge the material out to the the paint off.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I used regular krylon for my headliner trim (the plastic pieces that go around the headliner) And it has held up great. I didnt do the door panelsbut I did paint the back vinyl areas with vinyl paint and all the paint has held up great. Prep with a little steel wool and then laquer thinner. I did not however do the door panels which will require a non-vinyl paint on all areas except where there is the arm rest and upholstery.

8. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I think I have seen this stuff, does it have a little kids playhouse on the can? I thought about using it, if it will work for my door panels!

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to agree. I painted the bump stops on my K5 with the blue over 3 years ago and I still don't see any red comming through.

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I've always used Krylon Fusion for plastic. Works good on metal too. Pretty good heat resistancy as well. Indeed, it does have a little kid's playhouse on the can. I would recommend it, but I'm not sure how good it would work on vinyl such as the dash pad and door panels. Try and see.. ;)

11. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Where can I find it? I am covered on the Vinyl, the Autozone stuff works great, just doesn't stick to the plastic to well.
    The door panels are plastic right, just the armrest and pull strap are vinyl, is this correct?

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

yup thats the only vinyl on the panel, the panels themselves are plastic.

13. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

x2, that stuff rocks.

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool good to know. I have had a Krylon fusion post in the body shop for 2 weeks now with no replies:haha: Ryoken also reccomended the stuff LMC sells. I beleive it's called colorcoat and is good for plastic and vinyl. Did anybody find a nice grey in the fusion? I got riverrock, but it looks kinda light. I'll try and see anything is better than maroon:mad:

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup, SEM Colorcoat is hard to beat for interior stuff and is especially good on vinyl....

16. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

MTBLAZER89,
    Try looking at the NEX, right before you go outside to where they sale the BBQ grills. I didn't pay attention to the colors, but I know they had about 10 choices.