Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic Paint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock44k5, Aug 3, 2003.

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I am in the middle of restoring/modifying my 79 Blazer. I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with painting plastic parts, such as side panels, or headliner trim. If you could tell me a brand name that has worked well for you without peeling, and what would help with prepping it. Thanks in advance.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Eastwood sells stuff like what you are looking for.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you want plastic or vinyl dye...paint sticks on top and scratches..dye wont...ive heard good things about dye from used car lots..

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

they make spray paint specifically for plastic parts that bonds to the plastic.i want to say duplicolor makes it.i bought some for my door panels and it worked good.they also make spraypaint for leather.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I painted the plastic trim parts on mine a few years ago, I just used regular white spray paint and has worked fine. It has been about 4 years since i did it.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I think Krylon (sp?) makes a paint called Fusion. Its a plastic paint that bonds to plastic. Otherwise get ready!
    TO paint interior pieces the best way I have found is:
    -throughly clean the pice of grease and dirt, use paint thinner to soften the plastic and remove grease (dont touch if you can manage not to after wiping the trim down).
    -2nd, grey (or whatever color), sandable primer (the thick stuff), stray one thin coat to trim, let dry 24hrs. This leaves a bonding surface for the paint.
    -next, whatever color paint you want apply a thin coat, then wait several hours till its dry, apply second/third coat to liking
    -last, CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR!!!!!! Use alot and be prepared for chips. If at any point there is a bubble be prepared for touchups /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    [​IMG]
    all the trim here was white and the doors where maroon

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to mix automotive paint in parts stores for many years.The body shops I dealt with would only use S.E.M. or MarHyde brand paint for interior panels and seats--its more of a dye than paint,seemed to hold up well.I have seen MarHyde in spray cans at Pep Boys and Autozone,but I think the quarts of it seem to work better than the aresol spray cans,but maybe its just me!. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I used primer called "Bulldog" and it worked great...then you can use any paint over it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I'll get right on it. Also, the brands that you have used, do they clean up well? I dont want to have to repaint them again because they stain or something.