Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plastic sheild in an 87 blazer gas tank - its loose, what does it do

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Apr 27, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got a replacement tank for my leaky P.O.S. project truck.
    I'm buzzing all the bolts ont eh bumpers off and dropping the old tank tomorrow. The tank I have in my garage has a plastic sheild in it and its loose moving around. What is it, What does it do, can I bust it up and take it out, or do I need to reglue it in the tank somewhere. I'm going to use the accesories off the other tank (sender, elect fuel pump, change out some connectors and be done with it).
    Any info, suggestions, Chiltons is a waste of time, I couldn't find anything related. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think the shield is there to help prevent squeeks and stuff. Are you talking about the side shields?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is a baffle to keep fuel at the electric pump so it doesn't fuel starve on you going into turns and such. Without this in there if you have less than a 1/4 tank of gas and make a quick turn the engine will stumble on you.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is a baffle to keep fuel at the electric pump so it doesn't fuel starve on you going into turns and such. Without this in there if you have less than a 1/4 tank of gas and make a quick turn the engine will stumble on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I figured! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Any ideas on where or how its supposed to be attached in the tank? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have no idea how you would ever reattach it if it came loose on you. When I replaced my fuel pump the tray was loose but wasn't floating anywhere so I just left it alone, that was about a year ago and I still haven't had any troubles.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Previous poster was correct, it's the baffling for the injection.

Some have run injection setups on non-baffled tanks with no problem, but I'm not going to risk it. About $130 for a brand new steel baffled tank.

GM used crappy plastic for the stock baffles, they usually shatter. Held in with spring clips over studs welded to the bottom of the tank. Took some of the plastic to a friend who is what I would consider a "plastic expert", and he said that whatever you would use to glue it together/back in place, wouldn't hold. No way to "fix" one of these tanks. Just bust it up and pull it out.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i bet JB weld might hold it

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It won't.

The baffles are brittle, and you'd have to put tons of it on to hold it to the 3 or 4 studs in place, if the baffle breaks "nicely".

Typically the plastic breaks right where the studs mount the baffle to the tank, taking 1"+ chunks of plastic out of the baffle at each stud location. If that doesn't happen, you have multiple large chunks of thin plastic broken off.

Besides that, the plastic is *completely* fuel soaked, and glue won't work with the gas soaked plastic.

9. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

If the plastic is in good shape and the studs are there if I remember there used to be a repair kit from the dealer that came with nuts to fix the problem/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

my tank had the same problem. not only is it bad if you dont have it there to keep fuel by the pump but it is also not good to have it moving around and bumping into the sending unit. i sent mine out to a local radatior shop and they cleaned it then driled though the tank and bolted it down. after that they soder around the bolt holes and repressor test the tank. that is the safest way to do it i wasnt about to drill into the tank myself. (pardon any spelling errors i suck at spell as long as you get the point it should be close enough)