Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PLASTIC THROWOUT BEARING WTF!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Sep 3, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok I just bought a throw-out bearing from a local parts place and the bottom of it was plastic is this the right part? Why would they make it plastic??? WTF!!!

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have done a couple of 465 throw out bearings, and they where all steel, as far I remember. There could concievably be a plastic face sleeve for the area the clutch fork rides on, but that is about it.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've always used luk in the past with no problems to date...the last kit I bought a couple months ago for my '86 2wd with 4.3L and 3sp (same clutch setup as 465 though...12"..she lasted 145,000mi!!), and the throwout bearing had a "plastic" sleeve, but the area of contact with the pressure plate and the innards were still steel. I called them up to ask, like you, WTF, they said in testing the composite (not really plastic) sleeve held up better in testing, with less fork wear, then the steel version..I installed it, no problems so far, she's my daily driver, about 10,000mi on it thus far..holding up well...I wouldn't worry about it...the composites they have today are very weel engineered..