Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Plate vs fin oil coolers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2puller, Sep 8, 2006.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I see a lot of recomendations for Plate style coolers over fin coolers but why? What is the difference and hows it effect its performance?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

The stacked plate style, the fluid is pushed out into countless little passages, so it has more contact w/ air. With a tube & fin style, the fluid in the center of the tubes stays hot & only the fluid against the outside of the tubes is getting contact.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

In addition, most quality stacked plate coolers have bypasses built into them that allow oil or ATF to avoid being cooled until it's necessary.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

stacked plate is a minny version of the radiator in your rig. thay have run this style for years cause it works better.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Not to mention that most plate coolers can take a serious hit from debris or tree limbs without damage and a tube cooler will split and spew fluid.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The best are the stacked plate with fins btwn each stacked pair of plates. Setrab makes them. Bring your wallet.

Tube & Fin type coolers have lots of fin surface area, but not a lot of tube to fin contact area. There are some really well built versions of this type that seem to do a good job, but most of them you'll see are cheap and of poor quality.
    Fluidyne makes both types. If you are determined to use a tube & fin type, they are the only only one to use.

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I ran the standard tube & fin cooler for my tranny. I switched to a stacked plate cooler and it works much better.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a stacked plate and fin cooler for my tranny and a tube and fin cooler for my Power Steering.

Ira

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. THe first two posts explained it well. I never planned on getting the tube and fin style just wanted to know why the plate was better thats all.