Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

platinum/premium plugs worth the cost?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, May 9, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

stock 305.

Trying to decide between ac delco premium and regular spark plugs.

Is there any reason to get the premium ones, they are like $4 more each.

Adds up quick when you have a V8. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

TIA

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

NO, they burn out too fast. I used them in my TPI 350 that was in my IROC Camaro, they lasted anout 4 months, IF that.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Once, in a fit of being extremely poor and young, I was driving mom's hand-mem-down Dodge four-banger, which had an oil leak. A BAD oil leak, like I was using pure 30 weight at a rate of a quart every gas tank.

Anyway, for obvious reasons the plugs fouled quickly, so after replacing them frequently I ended up trying one of them "Splitfire" expen$ive ones.

It burned through all the oil and kept running until the car finally imploded into a pile of Japanese crap.

Point being: You shouldn't need fancy spark plugs. Use what the factory told you to... unless there's something wrong, and you're too cheap or stupid (like me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) to fix it.

(Now, my 300ZX takes plats from the factory, and are stupid $$... but they're good for 60K miles, and I don't drive the Z *that* much.)

-- A

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I had a set of those split fire plugs i aquired from a friend for free, i used them nearly 2 years in the Burb with no problems, i do have after i just barely pulled them out #6and 8 burning oil, and were pretty goobered up, but they were still firing, and i could have actually cleaned them up and continued using them for another 6-8 months probably.

5. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Been there....done that. A waste of money in 90% of the time. Just has the majority of posters on this site will attest to. These snake oil sales pitches do work... marketing ploys are selling items, but once you try them or try the product, we think "what a waste of money."

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I run split fires in my daily driver and I like them.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't recommend platinums unless the factory calls for them. I'm not sold on them giving better performance or longer life.

I suggest that if it is a GM vehicle, use AC Delco. Ford use Motorcraft, Chrysler use Champion, and import use NGK or Denso, whichever came in it.

I do not believe in putting plugs in an engine that don't belong there, and that's what I'll typically suggest to my customers. The correct brand, heat range, and platinum if the factory calls for it only.

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

NO....Unless the vehicle came form the factory with the platinum ones in it, don't waste your $$$...I have run CR43TS ACDelco plugs in my 350TBI and my 454TBI...My Girlies Civic is a different story. I switched the oil to Mobil 1 and am using the NGK Laser Platinums (List of $23 PER PLUG) but I bought them or $8.00 plug with my discount and it made a HUGE difference in engine smoothness and also the 2 of them together bossted her mileage by about 4mpg on average. But I will stick with the cheapie AC's in my SBC's and BBC's. My 1971 C10 gets cheapie AC's too but I just gap them at about .055" to help them resist fouling as easily since that truck is an honest-to-God Redneck mosquito fogger

Chris

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep. R45TS for me, CR43TS in the TBI tow rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

This is a dumb question, and kind of a hijack, but...

How do you know which plugs to use? The engine in my truck is a 402 from a 72 Camaro, so should I use the plugs for that application? I looked them up and they are AC Delco R44T's.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Use the plugs for your cylinder heads. That's the best suggestion I can give you.

I would use the R44T's, and watch your plug color and adjust accordingly.