Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

play in ring/pinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skyblazer, Oct 21, 2000.

1. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how to tighten up the ring and pinion gears in a GM 12bolt rear diff??? I have it all broke down to change out bearings, seals, and brakes and I noticed there is mucho play in the ring and pinion. I believe you shim the bearing on the left side to mesh the gears closer? My manuals don't include any info on this. thanks...

2. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

That's where most of us rely on experienced mechs with dial indicators. They set up the gears, backlash etc. it's sort of an esoteric thing, I have seen the results when folks just "eyeballed" them................boom.

"who dares wins"

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I was under my truck today and I noticed that there is about 1/8 of a turn of play in the fron driveshaft. Is this normal?

90K5

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Are you sure it's the R&P? The only way to tell, is to hold the pinion still and move the ring gear up and down. You will obviously have to have the diff cover off to do this. Dont rely on moving the Pinion yoke and waiting for axle movement. Backlash should run .008" Hope that made things clearer.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yes, normal