Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Play in steering wheel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Mar 30, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok I just picked up a 1979 K5 that my grandfather had bought new of the showroom floor. I have started to build her back up to offroad capabilities; my question is there is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel before the wheels respond. From visual inspection the joints all look good and tight BUT where is the most likely place to start looking for a solution. While I am at it I am going to brace the frame at the steering box as there are NO cracks right now. What is the prefered kit to use I have seen the ORD bolt and weld in kits but am not sure what is the prefered way to go. Thanks in advance for your .02

2. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

you need to have somone in the cab turning the wheel back and forth. (just little turn's, just enough to move the stearing componet's) while they are doing this you should be outside looking at all the componet's. they may seem tight but when doing this you may see little movememts in the part's before they acually turn the wheel's. also check that the stearing secter is tight. have had where the frame isn't cracked but the secter was loose. good luck
    dave

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

There is an Allen head bolt with a lock nut on top of the steering box. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the Allen bolt until it stops then back it off 90 degrees. Make sure that the steering wheel is centered while doing this. This should eliminate most of the play.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys I am going to work on the "bucket" tom and I will give both things a try.

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Exactly what Burbinator said. I did this and it removed alot of play. I have a cracked frame that I need to fix with the brace but by tightening that allen nut it adjusts the gear mesh, I think. It worked for me.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Hey, i have a 79 K5 too, and i did that whole screw all the way in and back out 90deg. and it worked perfectly. the nut is 5/8 and not sure on the allen screw.

NITRO

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

never heard of such a thing, guess where I'm goin'.....

8. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

never heard of this ether.. will also be checking out mine....

9. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Really? I'm gonna check mine right now! Thanks!!

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Careful, its like driving a completely different rig, I've been swerving all over the road over compensating... Its way better...thanks guy's.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif