Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

play in the front driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Jan 25, 2003.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Is it normal to have some side-to-side freeplay in the CV on a front driveshaft? Mine has a little slop in it and was just wondering if this is normal or acceptable

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

I have had a good amount of play in the front driveshaft on mine for 4 years and it's held up good. You could try to get one from a junkyard

3. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i dun have any play in mine, but when i did in my rear it was because my ujoints were shot

4. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

it might be good to get rid of it - Jess

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Believe me it's not OK.
    I learned the hard way, the CV broke when I was in the snow, wedged on my tranny broke the case and I had to be dragged in the snow for 26 miles.
    Fix it now. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would take it out. A little slop or play in the slip yoke is common as most of us know, but I wouldn't want any in the CV. It just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah dump it mine had some slop in it for about a year and a few days ago it busted while i was wheeling

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If the slop is in the slipyoke part it'snot to bad,but,if it's the bushing in the CV joint,it needs fixed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

ok, now i know its bad, but how can I fix it? The new LCM sells complete driveshaft assemblies and parts for them. They list a ball seal kit, could that be what im looking for?

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You've got to pull the u-joints to get to the ball so change those too. Your local parts store should have everything you need. Or you if you want to buy a complete new driveshaft call High Angle (shameless plug for all the free ones he has given to this board) and order it. If you go that route you have a trail spare!

11. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, i got it all fixed. Those CV joints are a pain to take apart. I was lucky enough to have another driveshaft that has a good CV on it(its too short for me and the splines are shot.) So I just ended up swapping the CV joint and one of the u-joints. The problem with the old one was the hole in the ball joint with the needle bearings was bone bry, no grease to be found. after I got it apart I was able to turn it over and watch all the needle bearings fall out looking clean and shiney. Greased up my replacement plenty good as well as the u-joints I put in it. hopefully i wont rin into this porblem again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif