Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Played king of the hill too long!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WhiteWhomper, Mar 20, 2003.

1. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

After getting between 36" to 40" of snow here at my house, I was having fun today breaking trail on all the neighborhood streets with the Whomper and was making all for about two hours until I took on a 5' high plow drift by a friends house. I got over sideways on the drift and the weight and pressure trying to back off, ripped out my ball joints and snapped my front axle. Now the Whomper is sitting sideways on a 5' drift left rear tire on top of the drift and the right front axle tube burried in about 3' of snow with the tire sideways on top. The way it is sitting and all the snow, I probably won't even be able to extract it for a week. Oh well, I had a blast anyways....

ps. Anyone got a shovel?

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif what size axle was it? When I went out in this stuff I did get worried about breaking something up front, I made sure to turn off the ARB before I would turn hard or when the front end would start to bounce.
    I would be happy to lend you a shovel but I don't have one yet. I will very soon though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

that sucks. get a hand pump sprayer, some gasoline, a lighter and a small piece of plywood (to stop flame, if it gets too close /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and head back out there!

4. WhiteWhomper

I still run the 10 bolt front with a ez-locker and 36" TSL-SX's. At least it was fun up to that point. Time to hit the boneyard to stock up on more parts.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Are you going to up grade? or just get a 10 for now? I need to hit the junk yards around twon and see whats out there, I know the ones I usally go to don't have a thing.
    Now you know that we want to see pic's right? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ken, give me a call, let's get it out of there.

7. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

CK5 - the ALL service site!

Can I get your number for next time I get stuck in No-Cal hills? LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

If you need a hand this weekend 21st, 22nd, and 23rd Im game. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Now that deserves a pic. I'm sorry to hear about your breakage. But I still wanta see a pic.

10. WhiteWhomper

I'll try to get a picture for y'all this evening. That way you can see what being a dumbass looks like....

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ken, I already know what you look like. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif oh $h!t /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Of course my toy had to be at the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I did bust through with the wifes Cherokee though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had the tires smoking so much that they were soft to the touch and sticky later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Do we need to come and get you Ken?? I know your neighbors want to burn that thing anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. WhiteWhomper

My neighbors probably have a new found respect for the Whomper as it was the only thing that opened up their streets so they could get out today. Damn Douglas County won't plow the side streets in Highlands Ranch. I may need to talk you into helping me retrieve it with your trailer and get it back to your shop, since I'm getting you to do the new tie rod and drag link anyways.

15. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Wow, and here I was complaining about how the snow took my front grille and part of my exhaust!

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    After getting between 36" to 40" of snow here at my house, I was having fun today breaking trail on all the neighborhood streets with the Whomper and was making all for about two hours until I took on a 5' high plow drift by a friends house. I got over sideways on the drift and the weight and pressure trying to back off, ripped out my ball joints and snapped my front axle. Now the Whomper is sitting sideways on a 5' drift left rear tire on top of the drift and the right front axle tube burried in about 3' of snow with the tire sideways on top. The way it is sitting and all the snow, I probably won't even be able to extract it for a week. Oh well, I had a blast anyways....

ps. Anyone got a shovel?

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it backwards. THe axle snapped and acted like a Gilotine and cut the nut off the lower ball joint.
    TIME FOR CTM'S or a Dana 60..... Http://offcamber4x4.com /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. WhiteWhomper

Didn't think of it in that direction....usually I only snap my axles inside the hub, so I hadn't thought about the axle exploding first. You're probably right though.

I guess it may be time to look at the CTM's and some hardened shafts...just can't bring myself to spend up for the 60 yet.

18. WhiteWhomper

Eyup! You were right. I was able to shovel out the front end, so I could check out the damage, and sure enough, the front axle had exploded in about 10 pieces and then broke the ball joints out of their sockets.

Bad thing is, it is my passenger side knuckle that is drilled and taped for my crossover and now the knuckle is cracked at the upper ball joint mount. Now I got to go and get another flat top knuckle and get it drilled and taped before I can fix the Whomper.

19. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Dang that's really bad luck! I had a ton of fun in our neighborhood, got stuck a few times myself. Luckily no damage that I've found so far......

Marty---

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Pic's ???