Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Playground Safety- serious stuff!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Oct 16, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

For those of you with kids- please check into this.

I am the Asst. Rec Director for our town's recreation dept, and had our public playground inspected today. WHAT an eye opener- Our play structures need to be replaced, because they failed the federal guidelines miserably!

If your kids have a play structure at their school, I urge you to contact the school, and find out when the last time it was inspected was. Our schools failed as well, ( pto member, was at that inspection too).

here's some figures-

height of any climbing piece- 7'
    railing height is 38" MINIMUM
    any elevated leval piece- top of railings etc.. has to be less than 2" wide.

any opening must be less than 3" or more than 9" or its a head entrapment.

Please check with your school, or town for a inspection report, and if they have never done one, please make them.

I knew our playground had some problems, but I thought it was fixable- this structure was built in 94. that's not that long ago!

check out this website- National Program for Playground Safety

and see how well your local playground fairs. If you guys aren't interested, send the women to the site...this is a SERIOUS issue. Most wooden structures last 10 years, we are at 10 years for most structures, please check into it, it could save your child or another child from an injury that could be prevented.

oh- and a new structure is not cheap! Be prepared for the school to say they don't have money. There are plenty of grants available for schools, town governments etc. PLEASE CHECK INTO THIS!

Brandy

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We just had to replace the playground equipment at our townhouse complex due to a failed 'minimum standards' inspection and the subsequent liability issues...it's not a large playground and yet it still cost $6000 to replace /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    height of any climbing piece- 7'
    railing height is 38" MINIMUM
    any elevated leval piece- top of railings etc.. has to be less than 2" wide.

any opening must be less than 3" or more than 9" or its a head entrapment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the days when we played on stuff that had screws sticking out, everything was solid metal or steal. You would burn your bum when you slid down the slide on a sunny day. I cant remember how many times I banged my knees into those steps that you climb. Or got someone got there head stuck in them. Everything was a hazard but we all played on them and we are alive today.

NOW everything sharp is covered up, plastic, steps a certain length apart. What the heck happend? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, as a dad who's a partial basket case with my kids in public, I'm glad for the safety stuff. I'm a crappy supervisor, I usually turn around in time to hear them crying, too late to stop them from getting hurt. I'm happier if there's less opportunity for them to cut something open or get a head stuck somewhere...

I played on the same cruddy equipment, too, though...

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I wish we had that kind of stuff when I was little though . I would have not got so banged up playing outside lol. There is a place down the way from my apartment that sells the equipment. Nice stuff but wow spendy. Even swing sets were dangerous back then. Get finger caught in the chains and the wimpy seats. I remember swinging on one of those and the chain comming out of the pole. Weee I went flying hit my head and blacked out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am glad things are safer now but wish it was that way awhile ago lol.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What the heck happend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawsuits.

Some folks figured out that it was easier to file lawsuits against other people rather than take responsibility for watching their kids. Consequently, we see warning lables like "Placing this plastic bag over your childs head can cause suffocation" and "Caution, swallowing small parts can cause choking".

Don't get me wrong, I think that it is very important to establish safe standards for building play structures (or any structure on your property) but everytime I go to the park with my son I am amazed at the parents who don't seem to want to take the time to check things out before letting their kids run free.

For example: I took my 2-year-old to the park awhile ago because he REALLY wanted to play on the slide. OK, no problem. We walked up to the park and went over to the slide and started climbing around. There were 3 other kids there who were all under 4 years old and I was the only adult within earshot. 2 of the kids were playing with some busted beer bottles and one of them had already cut his finger (not bad, barely bleeding) and was starting to get all teary. I put a band-aid on it and went looking for his dad. I finally found him playing soccer with his buddies and let him know what happened.

What if his kid had been cut badly and died? What if his kid had fallen from the top of the slide and busted his neck? Would he have tried to sue the school (we were at the local elementary school palyground) for having "unapproved" playgrounds? Possibly.

What if I was a child molester? I could have taken all of those kids away and they wouldn't have seen me. Would he be able to sue because the playground was not properly secured? Maybe.

My point is that many accidents can be prevented if we all take the time to properly supervise our kids. If that means that we figure out that the playground toys need an extra railing, cool. Let's build it. But we still need to keep an eye on them and help them avoid dangerous situations.

It's called parenting and some folks don't seem to get it.

More playground safety sites:

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Parentcenter.com

Kidsource

American Academy of Pediatrics

First Aid:

Kidshealth

Keepkidshealthy.com

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

That would be it. We are in the age of lawsuit happy people. Look on tv, there are at least 7 different court shows on tv most in a day. Judge joe brown, jude judy, That pet court show, judge mabyline, peoples court, there is two others one from a guy from fox news and another that looks fake to me. Wierd freaky guy. Look in the phone book. Half of it is lawyers lol.

I will pass this along in an email Brandy. Thanks for the reminder. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The safer things are the better at least for the kids. And for the school or park from losing money in a lawsuit which in turn still hurts the kids.