Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please, 700R4 Problem.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Jaguargt, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Jaguargt

Jaguargt Registered Member

Hi, first, sorry about my bad english, i'm from guatemala, and here is my problem:
    i'm trying to adjust the tv cable, but even with the cable all released the trans doesn't shift to OD until the accelerator is totally released (i have a 6.2d), and if i barely touch it, comes the downshift to 2nd. so i'm running almost all the time in second and third gear, so i think i'm overheating the trans because the fluid it's a little dark, could be that i have a wrong tv cable (too short)?. thanx in advance.

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Are you sure your adjusting it properly? Try this.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the governor is messed up. If the governor isn't working properly, the tranny doesn't know the truck is moving, and it won't shift properly no matter where the TV cable is adjusted.

I bought an '86 Suburban a while back with 6.2L and 700R4. The tranny had just been rebuilt. When I test drove it, I noticed that it would not shift into OD until you were going at least 55 mph, and that the tranny downshifted very easily. I assumed it was a mis-adjusted TV cable. However, after getting it home and playing around with it, I couldn't improve the shifting at all. I did some research, and someone suggested I check the governor. Turns out that the rebuild shop installed the wrong governor. The one I had was meant to be used behind a V-6 gasser, which moves the shift points way up. I installed the correct diesel governor with heavier weights, and it fixed the problem.

The governor is located behind the large round cover on the left side of the transmission. The cover is just pressed into place. Pry the cover off (a little fluid will leak out, don't worry), and pull straight out on the governor. Inspect the plastic gear on the end. If it's chewed up, replace the governor.

Has it always shifted like this, or did it just start doing it?

Casey

4. Jaguargt

Jaguargt Registered Member

hi man, thanx for your answer, since i bought my k5, has been shifting that wrong way, and i think you're right about the governor, but there are specific spring colors for a diesel governor? thanx for your help.