Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please be careful with tow straps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Aug 20, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is a video (right click save as) from fullsizerigs.com> funny stuck Jeep, but shows the danger of the sport. Just a reminder to everybody to please be safe nobody wants to see anybody get maimed or killed doing something we all love......especially pulling out Jeeps /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif anyway struck me as dangerous thought i would supply a friendly reminder. use tow straps rated for what we are doing, and lay something over it if you are gonna snap it hard....winch cables too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif be safe out there

2. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Great googley gumballs!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Over the years I have seen many accidents with breaking straps and cables /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I have yet to see a chain break and do that kind of damage
    Is it wrong to use chain? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. MTBLAZER89

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it wrong to use chain?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes and no. if you are just straight pulling a chain will work fine, but for shock loads (jerking) I hate seeing people use chain. I have seen chains break I was attached to the end of one that broke once it left a nice braid print in his tailgate thankfully nobody was hurt. I have learned my lesson too with chain. Chain is for towing and tying things down starps are for jerking just use them safely. Rated for the load and use a safety blanket or something to knock it to the ground if it breaks. Same with chain make sure it is rated for the load /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well that what you get when you spend all your money on white out tail lights and tint and still have open diffs and a super old worn out strap. no wonder it snaped wonder if it got him in the back of the head?

sould have had one truck solid pulling and one tied it it jerking a bit. keeps the truck from slipping back in its hole. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Sweet video w/ nice tunes, but why does it say fullsizerigs on the video and the only fullsize that I saw there was the tow truck?
    If a REAL fullsize would have been there I bet that thing would have popped right out of that hole! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Oh yeah, clear taillights belong on Hondas and the like, not "trucks"

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

When they replay it in slo-mo, it really does look like the driver got smacked on the dome.

The "altezzas" on that S10 are...well, dumb, but it did a good job of tugging the Superduty out backwards /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

CHICKS DIG BODY DAMAGE /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

The only full size I seen was the superduty as well /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

wow those guys dont look to smart

10. MTBLAZER89

[ QUOTE ]
    The only full size I seen was the superduty as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause the video is hosted by the guy who runs fullsizerigs.com there are a lot of other vids of fullsizes playing in the mud on the site /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd be willing to bet two things:

1. the tow strap was in shitty condition

2. the tow strap(s) in that video were fastened together in an unacceptable manner (IE, other than looping them together as they're designed to be used).

13. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

Amatures...they're just lucky nobody was hurt. What about the guy standing next to the strap when they were pulling the tow truck up the hill?? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif That's a pretty fart smeller!!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've never seen a strap retain that much energy when it snaps.....

Then again, I don't ever yank on a strap like that, either. 4-5 feet of slack is all that is required.

15. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

thats funny.

why couldnt any of the heeps just tie themselves off to a tree and use their winches?

i wonder what the wrecker bill was...

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is that the one guy MudSlayer's group? If I remember correctly, he's the guy that got pissed off at the crackpot moderator on Michigan Jeepers and made threats... then started spamming a bunch of websites saying to go to his. If it's the same guy... I'm not surprised at the video.

If there had been a passenger in that truck they'd have a broken neck. It seems that in the first part of that video he was in 2wd. I didn't see any snow moved by the front tires. That truck was the only one with good tires on it also...

I'm not going to rant about not taking car tires in the woods (repeat three times).

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mudslayer is the owner/operator of fulsizerigs.com. im signed up there because its a michigan based site and they have some nice vids.

when i seen this post i instantly thought of this video. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif i believe this is at the mounds near flint

18. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

bring a chain or a cable to one of our trail rides they won't even let you into the woods!

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is the Mounds. The opening scene is the "dry" entrance to the mud flats. One part of the video also contains the "woods" section entrance.

None of those rigs would be what I call "mud slaying" type... especially the homo with altezzas.

Is there a "FullSizeRigs.com" sticker? If so, I'll know who to avoid just like all the Michigan Jeepers morons. I think MJ stupidity is contagious when wheelin' so I try to avoid 'em.

20. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes there is a sticker, it looks like this.
    [​IMG]

the guys in that video are in none of the other videos, they are not even on the site. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i noticed some of their stupidity on the site. one thing is the go to the mounds EVERY sunday and wheel in the same spots, that seems boring. try going somewhere else. they also use those straps all the time like that, back way up and hammer down to the end. their is a guy with a blue dodge that had the same thing happen not even 1 month ago.

i may go with them once or twice to see how they are over there.