Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please check if I assembled the brakes in my 14bolt ff correctly (pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer79, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Hello:

I bought a 14bolt from a suburban. It was an ambulance from the social security hospital, which had the worst maintenance you can imagine.

I took a before pic so I could use it to assemble it back. Check out how bad it was:
    [​IMG]

This is how I assebled it back.

[​IMG]

This is the passenger side. I'm not sure if maybe it should be assembled backwards (mirror), because the arm that spins the adjusting wheel has a small lip that protrudes outward. I'm thinking maybe that lip should go towards the little wheel? The paint was to make it "high contrast" and make it easier to see things. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Any comments welcome.

Thanks.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That looks nice and clean. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You have it assembled right. Is the window for adjusting the brakes on the backing plate or the drum?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If both pictures are the passenger side then it's right, the drivers side would be the mirror image of that.

Rene

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The lip should go out like that. You have it correct. Make sure you got the star adjuster on the proper wheel! The star adjusters on the two sides have opposite threads from each other. If that is the star adjuster from that side originally, then everything is a-ok.

BTW - you can't assemble the adjusting arms backwards. If you tried to mirror the setup on the same side, the ebrake cable wouldn't attach properly.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

tx85gmcguy:
    You're right. They can't go wrong because of the parking brake. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Powermad:
    Yes the adjusters have their respective windows behind them to adjust them without disassembly. I like to work in a clean environment, not just reassemble with all the crud still there.

I guess I got it right then. I'm glad I can get that extra degree of confidence thanks to you guys.

Thanks for all the comments. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif