Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please check my thinking before I do something stupid

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 75-K5, Apr 7, 2007.

1. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Apologies in advance for the fact that this post probably technically belongs in the 73-91 forum, but it is somewhat diesel-specific and I trust the "diesel-hood" more in general with these types of questions:

I am getting ready to purchase clutch parts for my setup (to make Rene happy) and need to make sure I'm looking for the right things. Am I correct in the following:

Flywheel/pressure plate/clutch disc need to be for the engine application ('91 6.2)

Hydro slave and fork need to be for hydro donor ('89 I believe, but can't remember for sure)

Does this sound right? The hydro stuff and engine are so close together in years that I don't think I'd run into a problem anyway but just wanted to make sure.

Is Perfection Clutch a good brand? I've never heard of them. Looks like there are 2 casting numbers available: 14022675 and 14050525. How do I know which one I need? Is this the casting # on the engine that it's referring to? Any other recommended places to look? I punched in the part # listed on the "Boatload of parts" thread on Napa's website and it brought up two flywheels (link). One is $300 and the other is $600!!! It doesn't say what brand they are and why one is so forkin expensive. I'm tempted to just go with the cheapie one but want to make sure I'm not getting a P.O.S. I'm willing to spend $300 if it is a good investment.

Thoughts?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stay away from the dual mass flywheels, I have heard they're not so good. I think you can ask for any 6.2 flywheel from 82-91 and be OK. It shouldn't run you more than $170 or so from what I've seen here.

For hydro stuff stick with the donor year application and you should be fine.

For Clutch I prefer to spend a few extra bucks there and make sure what i'm getting isn't something I'll have to fock with anytime soon. Look for a Luk clutch...Pro-Gold if it's in the budget. I spent weeks looking for a local distributor for Luk and came up dry...so I ordered a Hays "Diesel Super Truck" clutch from Jeg's. It's a 12 1/4" clutch and has a damn heavy pressure plate. With hydro clutch it's not bad, but you can definitely feel it's a lot heavier than a stock clutch would be.

I'm not a big fan of centerforce stuff. They usually use LUK disc's anyways, and the centrifugal weights are really something meant for high rpm which a diesel just isn't.

Anyways, the Hay's I have engages smoothly...and although I don't have a ton of miles on it yet I'm happy with it.

Lastly, I really hope you're doing the manual thing because it makes you happy. If you're doing any technical trail stuff with this truck I think you'll really like it. With the old 465/205 i had I could do all the technical, tight and nasty stuff at idle. The 6.2 is goverened at both ends of the scale...top rpm and idle. If you purposely try and pull it down below idle speed it'll add a bit of fuel to keep it running. This 'feature' really helps in the nasty stuff. I wheeled some tougher stuff in Moab in '03 when I went and did all the harder stuff with both feet flat on the floor. If the truck could find traction it'd climb vertically at idle in low range/first gear.

Rene

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

So the more expensive one listed on Napa's site is probably a DMF then? What about the two different part #'s listed on partsamerica.com? I'll probably end up getting a Luk flywheel just so I can have quality parts from front to back.

And your comment about going manual because it makes me happy...trust me nothing is going to make me happier:D. I am, always have been, and always will be a handshaker to the death! The setup I've accumulated seems so awesome on paper that I only hope it works out the way it should. If so I will be tickled silly!

Thanks for all your help and advice on everything by the way.:bow: When it's all done I'll road trip it to BC to see if it's really been put together right.:wink1:

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

For flywheels last I checked the prices went down and you could get a new one not reman for $135.
    I agree on the luk clutch, diesels tend to chew up clutches.
    Hydro I believe it's going o be the same from 85-91 for crewcab and sub.

5. tRustyK5

C'mon up here...I should have my POS sorted out by that time. :D

Got any links for the $135 flywheel Iceman?

Rene

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, skipped the BS and went all Luk. LFW201 flywheel ($180) and Pro-Gold clutch set (disc and pressure plate) for about $250. A little salty but the benefit is hopefully never having to pull it apart again! Thanks for the help guys. :thumb:

8. tRustyK5

Nice!! :waytogo:

Rene