Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please confirm my pinion shim math

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Oct 18, 2005.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

after my lift I measured my pinion angles, the output yoke on the rear driveshaft is right at 6 degrees more angle than the rear pinion yoke (because of the shackle flip), so I'll want to shim the pinion DOWN exactly six degrees? Then they will be in the same plane- or should I only go four so that my drivehsaft doesn't extend all the way out?

and on the front the driveshaft angle is 10 degrees off of the pinion angle. So, I will only want to shim the pinion UP five degrees, that way it will bring the pinion up five and the driveshaft up five so that it will be straight inline with my u-joint?

and since they only sell them in 2, 4, 6 degrees should I go with the 4 degree on the front?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I'll be waiting for more input, but I don't think you'll be able to shim your front axle that much due to changing you caster setting.

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

hopefully I'll be able to get away with more shimming since I used the ORD extended heavy duty shackles. They're not that much longer but it said they do make a difference in caster, so if I can just bring it back a few degrees I'd be happy. Maybe 2.5?