Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please define HD Dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Executioner, Apr 11, 2000.

1. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    When you see, or hear Heavy Duty Dana 44, what does it mean to you, please post opinons, FACT'S, whatever.
    Let get as Techincal as possible, like tube O.D. wall thickness,axle spline count , axle O.D. U-Joint specs.
    hub specs(hubs as in hub and rotor, not hubs like in locking hubs), spinlde thickness, knucles,....ect
    Also if you can explain if there is a Light Duty Dana 44, or a Regular-Duty Dana 44
    I have be looking at someone post for some old 70's sales brouches, and don't see the GM bragging that you
    could get a Heavy-Duty Dana 44, am I looking in the wrong place to see in writing that a HD Dana 44 had existed
    ?
    If anyone knows Ford or Chysler definitions of a Heavy-Duty Dana 44 that would be helpfull also

Thanks for reading TIA for any posts

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When I hear HD Dana 44 I think of a 3/4 ton 8 lug Dana 44 as apposed to the regular or light duty 6 lug Dana 44. Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I have seen.

Steve

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Thats the way I take it to. The only difference is from the spindles out. Nothing in the housing or gears.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some years have thicker wall tubing. I could be wrong but I think it's true.
    Corey 78K5

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Some earlier model 44's (late 60's) used smaller u-joints (260 vs. 297), but other than that I don't think there is really any difference in strength or design. I think the 6-lug and 8-lug 44's use the same wheel bearings, locking hubs, spindles, axleshafts, gears, and carrier (correct me if I'm wrong), the only difference being the hub and rotor which wouldn't give any extra strength.

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

44s all the way up to 1972 used the small (dana 30 sized) 260x axleshaft u-joints. Some 44s had thicker tubes, I can't say which though.

ken

7. Executioner

Thanks for your responces, does this mean anything to you 3/4 ton guy's
    part no. 368A
    part no. 382A
    Hint before 1977, also the part no. is used by more than one manufacture, and it should cross reference to others.

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Just did a lot of research on this.I'm changing to a 8 lug D44.The difference between the two is spindle out.The hd has a larger inner wheel bearing same outer bearing.The hd has a external hub the std dosen't.The rotors and calipers are larger on the hd.And for 76' there was three models.Two standard and one hd.Don't khow what the difference id between the two standard models they use all the same parts.

9. Executioner

You are getting warn(close), buy any chance do you have any spindle part no.(#'s), or spindle specs for
    73-77 .You menditioned three options (choices) for 1976, I would like to verify this can you please tell me where
    you read this ?
    Thanks alot

10. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Don't Know spindle specs besides bearing sizes.Could probably find out part #'s though.My brother is a mechanic and called the local suppliers for me trying to help me with the conversion.That were I found out about the three model #'s for the front ends.I've personally opped to just buy a whole front end.Think it's easier.I think in 77 they dropped the hd not sure.Maybe there was a yoke difference between the two standards.Could also be refering to part-time or full-time but didn't think there was a difference except the lock-outs?

11. Executioner

Yah, If you could get some part no. for 73-77 spindles for any Dana 44 that would be great.
    Thanks alot

12. kermit

kermit Registered Member

Yes, the D44HD is different. I have an 8 lug D44HD in my J-10, and a standard D44 6 lug in my parts truck. I don't have exact measurements for you yet, but the axle tubes are different sizes.

I'll measure as much as I can on the two axles this weekend when I put in my rear No-Slip.

Len

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!

13. Executioner

Hey Len,

Small world, you must have done a serach on that post, or have exrta time to dig that deep !
    I plan on coming up(down) for your wedding, I tought your rear had a Dana(Spicer) Trak-Lok
    are you rebuilding ? or what !

14. kermit

kermit Registered Member

hmmm...a 77 K5 in Tucson and knows about my wedding. Must be Sinan!! How's it going? I was going to rebuild the Trak-loc, but I found out that Powertrax makes a unit that will fit into a Trak-loc case. I was impressed with the way the No-Slips performed, so I just had to have one. :-)

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!

15. Executioner

Bingo
    See ya soon !