Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please don't vote.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 22, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Please don\'t vote.

I found this on a hunting site I started reading lately...

Aimed at the Mtv P1's:
    Please Don't Vote

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: Please don\'t vote.

LOL! Thats about exactly what I tell my Kids. They watch MTV and get their brains washed in school and think they know the issues. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

So what about me? Im 18, registered to vote, and contrary to many people my age I am a republican and actually know more about the current issues than many of the people I work with that are 35+ years old.

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I agree, if you're old enough to fight and die for this country you're damn sure old enough to vote.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree, if you're old enough to fight and die for this country you're damn sure old enough to vote.

[/ QUOTE ]
    and drink but another issue. Agreed, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't have the right to vote. Though I know a lot of kids htat no nothing about any of the issues, they just go with their parents or the media and most go Democratic for reasons I nor they know.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Obviously it's not completely serious. Not every 18 year old is a kid, nor every one an adult, while there are plenty that are pretty mature adults. But by my own experience, most kids at 18 don't know squat or care about any candidates beyond what thier demo media has said about them.
    When I was 18, I:
    A) didn't give a crap about politics, and didn't give more than half a thought to any issue except really stupid obvious ones. I CERTAINLY didn't look into a candidate's history or true position on an issue or at any major issues.
    B) was bombarded with propaganda that voting was my civic duty and I had to do it. So who's to blame if I went in and voted communist, or Nader, because the only issue I paid attention to was legalizing pot? I was told I had to vote, not learn the issues and choose the candidate.

Heck even now at 28, I won't vote for an office if I don't know anything about the candidates.

Just like getting a drivers license, I don't think age has as much to do with it as maturity. I guess 18 is just the age young people are generally adults, some sooner, some later.

I think it would make sense to be administered a test when you register to vote with five questions:
    1. Who's the president?
    2. Who's the vice president?
    3. Who are your state senators?
    4. Who is your congressman (or person)?
    5. Name two major local newspapers.

...or something similar. Nothing to give away your position on a candidate, just enough to demonstrate you haven't been sleeping during your stay in your state. You don't have to read the papers, just know which ones are out there.

At 18, I would've gotten the first 2 right. I'm frightened when I see these "jay-walking" segments and how little people know, but will go vote anyway.