Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please help am desperate for info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blackwidow2408, Feb 1, 2005.

1. blackwidow2408

blackwidow2408 Registered Member

I have 1977 K5 and have a major problem i took her out for her first run she was running fine then all of a sudden no transmission she is acting as though she is in nutral all the time we have checked linkage and that is fine we have checked fluid and that is fine can some please help me, there was no buring smell nothing is just will not engage any gear the columb shift works fine.

Help please:confused:

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

wonder about t case ? does it make any wierd noise when going to park form neutral or drive ?

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My thoughts too. Unusual for a tranny to just do 'nothing' with no warning or noise. Try the t/case in all positions and if it's a 203 make sure your hubs are locked in.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Put it in 4wd and see if it works then. I had a '94 that chewed up and spit out the rear 10 bolt on the highway.

5. blackwidow2408

Transmission problems

Have tried all positions of drive checked vacume pipes how do Icheck the hubs? sorry to be thick but am a novice on transmission

6. blackwidow2408

Transmission problems

forgot to say she is contstant 4 wheel drive so have low lock, low, nuetral, high and high lock have tried all these positions the gear leaver is very stiff so don't know if this could be problem

7. southernspeed

If it won't move in 'loc' thenit's not an axle/hub problem. Gear lever on t/case shouldn't be stiff. They're not as loose as a tranny shifter tho.

Next step would be to drop the rear prop from the t/case, put the trans in P and see if you can turn the yoke on the back of the t/case. If it turns (asuming your park detant works) it means that your t/case linkage is out or broken.
    This should be quite easy to sort out.
    If you've got a friend with you, you could just put it in P and see if you can push the truck forward (or back). If it just rolls, same thing.
    Give that a try and report back!:grin:

8. blackwidow2408

We put her in park took brake off all she did was roll back a bit and rested on park gear would no move any further

9. southernspeed

OK. If it's stopped on on the park pawl the problem must be in the trans as the t/case is obviously in gear for it to take up on the park pawl, .Did you check the trans fluid with the engine running? No offence but if you didn't know it would be easy to assume it's like checking engine oil. With the trans in park and on level ground, engine idling, check your level. If that's good I think you'll have to get a trans shop to check your line pressures. Unless you know someone who can do that for you. To do nothing at all I can only assume it would be the pump....unless anyone else has any better ideas???

10. blackwidow2408

No offence taken did check fluid whilst running have had american for 20 years but have never had trans promblems so am at a loss, one problem where we live in Cornwall non of the local shops around ehre with touch our vehciles so that is why i am asking here as have to do it oursleves.

11. southernspeed

Didn't notice where you lived! Unfortunately you've got to the point where you someone with the ability to check the line pressure. I guess you could take the pan off and see if there any tell tale metal in there. Maybe the torque converter went bad??

I pressume the gears are shifting? Will it come out of Park?

12. blackwidow2408

no probs it move between all gears like a dream just will not take any of them up we are going to check torque tomorrow as it has started to rain and do not have inside work facilities and I don't like getting wet:( when i have doen that i will put another message up to let you know what i find if that is ok

13. southernspeed

Sure. But it's looking more and more like a strip down job. If you can't get the pressure checked you'll have to at least take the pan off to look.

Are there no auto box places near you? It's a very common box used in everything from lorries to Rolls Royces. I think Jags used it too. Any of them could check the pressures even if they didn't want to rebuild it.
    PM me if I miss your next post but I see most of them.:grin:

14. blackwidow2408

will try and ring round tomorrow but normally it is the case of we don't touch yanks, i do have mobile bloke whohas helped us out int he past he may be able to check it for me. sorry can't pm you as not full member

15. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

just wondering did you have the trans out of the truck? If so did you get the convertor seated all the way in to the trans. If not you burnt the pump up in the trans and it will not move. Normally the convertor should be about 7/8" to 1" behind the bell that bolts to the engine block.

16. blackwidow2408

did not take trans out of truck but am going to check convertor and rest tomorrow as allergic to woeking in rain do notlike getting soaked and i got arthritus so it end up hurting

17. blackwidow2408

checked fluid in pipes again this morning just o be sure and nothing is coming through so could it be the pump??????????????

18. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

tranny no go

If your pump isn't working I'd guess that your fluid level would be high when you check it. To be sure you could disconnect the tranny line at the radiator and start the truck. If fluid shoots out then it's probably pumping. Have you had someone get in the truck, start it, put it in gear while you look at the drive shafts? Since it's full-time 4wheel drive that means that if you blew one of your hubs the power will go to that axle and spin but you won't move. Just a thought. Make sure the x-case is in lock position too.

19. blackwidow2408

done the pipe from tranny to radiator no fluid so it seems it imust be pump

20. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I would start looking for a junk yard trans for in it. You should have had lots of trans fluid comeing out of the line when you unhooked it. I would have to say the pump in the trans is junk. You may want to check into the cost of a pump at a local tranny shop they maybe able to change it out for a resonable price.