Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PLEASE HELP!! Another Rear Window?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rob 85K5, Mar 13, 2000.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Okay, months ago the rear power window key switch would stopped working correctly. It would go up but not down, the inside switch still worked so it wasn't a big deal. Til yesterday, when the inside switch won't put the window down. Both switches still have power to the motor for up but not down. I bought a haynes manual and it says s@%t about the rear tailgate area of a Blazer. It does show the wiring diagram for it, not much help otherwise. ANY IDEAS AT ALL????????

Any other maintenance manuals out there that are recommended.
    Any help is appreciated, I'm at wits end.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Had the same problem with my rear window switch. It would go up but not down at all. Basically the switch was corroded and I had to replace it. Bad thing is, it's a dealer only part and it was about 40 bucks. I just removed the cover on the tailgate to access the switch. Not sure about the interior switch. Hope this helps some.

BIGJ

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

One of the Blazer-charmes it seems.
    Open the acces-panel (20 Screws)
    "Click" over the catch on the tailgate on the drivers side.
    place garden-furniture to suport window as you roll it open.
    You can disconnect the cable at the motor and run it up with a Power-drill instead.(lots of fun).
    With the window out of the way you can remove the regulator-assembly 3-4 bolts and the hole thing can be taken out with ease.
    Now first you can get to the key-switch assembly. 2 quick nuts, jiggle and its out. Inspect, clean and order new parts. Somewhere along, following this process you will find youre "gremlin".
    Good luck
    Espen.

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt the switch.Just as above get the switch out.Basically there is a "U" shaped contact with a cam in the middle .The cam is turned by the key.When turned the cam causes the "U" shaped contact to touch the outer contact and the window moves. On mine the contacts on both sides of the "U" were burnt. So I cleaned them off best I could and took the brass bottom part to an old bulb and a set of sidecuts and made 2 pieces just a wide as the contact and long enough to bend in half and go over it. I then soldered it in place where the old contacts were and it works like a charm.Seemed more fun then to but a new one for $50.00. For a more detailed scenerio just ask...[​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral