Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PLEASE HELP! Cut out Dash, which wires go to the ignition?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Apr 2, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Alright, I cut out my dash and now there are a lot of wires. My plan:
    I want to run the wires that are activated by the ignition key through the floor and into my Tuffy console w/ push button starter. THis will limit lazy thieves at least and I will leave my original keyed column there as a "decoy". Plus I soon will replace my steering column with a custom unit with a removable steering wheel, drastically slowing would be thieves. What wires do I need to work with? There are many wires and plugs. I don't currently have guages and there sure are a lot of wires. ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated in this matter. Thanks in advance.
    Juan

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Cut out Dash, which wires go to the ignition?

Juan, a little off topic, but are you heading down here to Phx this weekend? If so I can do those bars, prefably Sat, but Sun would work as well. Let me know

Dan

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone perhaps installed a tilt column and had experience with this sort of thing?
    Any and all help is appreciated.
    Juan

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Purple wire should be the "start" wire. (look what goes to your starter that isn't red or orange)

As an aside, if running some kind of pushbutton starter, may I suggest you run the wires under the truck or somewhere someone can't cut it? If it's not going to be sitting long in a location where it can be stolen, no biggie, but two wires running to a console are pretty easy to clip and touch the ends together.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

yeah, that is my plan. I will route it under the truck then through the floor of my console. Which wires at the steering column go to the ignition? I'll check on that purple wire.
    Thanks
    Juan

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, top of the column, there will be a rectangular "box" with two plugs that appear to be one, with heavyish gauge wire running to them from the fuse panel. There will be a rod running down the column on the drivers side that has a hook on the end that fits into a slider on the side of that rectangle. That is all ignition stuff, but without a wiring diagram, I'm gonna have to say hook the battery up, break out the multi/voltmeter, turn the key to run and start, and start checking what gets what at what key position.

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Sounds good thanks.
    Juan

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Juan...that is almost exactly what I have done....if you need more info email me and I can provide ya the whole sooop.