Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PLEASE Help get it wired by Monday PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Jan 28, 2006.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I'm back intown until Monday morning so time to get the "bucket" wired. I stripped out all the wiring today and have a few questions before I get it all buttoned up with a new panel from 12voltguy.

The winch and fan controls are all done. Really all that I have left is the ignition system.

All of this portains to a stock 400sbc with th350.

First off how much amperage is needed at the coil wire. I have electronic ignition and there is one switched power wire going into it. And a tach wire coming out. All the other electronics seem to be internal.

I also have a solenoid beside the distributor mounted on the rear of the intake. Is this needed? It has a single wire coming off of it.

The alternator has 3 wires. The red wire off the stud and then a plastic plug with a red wire and brown wire. It is my understanding that both red go the 12volt positive for charging and that the brown wire went to a switched 12 volt with a bulb inline to excite the alternator to charge?

Starter is wired so I think all this should get the motor running and charging. Can anyone provide some input on this. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

you should be good to go with a 10g wire for ignition and a 12g for your plastic plug on the alternator, i would personally go with at least an 8-6g wire for the stud on the alt

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am not worried about the guage as much as I am the current. I have tons of wire and as always will overkill the guage but need to know if a 20 amp breaker is ok for the HEI coil wire or if I need to run a seperate relay for it.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

20 amp is more than enough for an HEI. Maybe even too much (I don't have the factory fuse spec in front of me).

Be sure you run the small red wire from the alt to a junction box. That's the voltage sense lead and if you just loop it right to the output terminal, you'll have low system voltage.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Got it wired up and the alternator is charging great. I even installed an idiot light for it next to my switch panel.

BUT Does anyone know what the one wire solenoid is that mounts next to the distributor on the back of the intake???

switchpanel.JPG

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It's probably either an anti-dieseling solenoid or an idle speed kick-up for a/c.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Could it be the oil pressure solenoid? Would that be mounted on the intake?

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Oil pressure doesn't have a solenoid. The oil pressure sending unit could be mistaken for a solenoid, I suppose.
    If it threads into the top of the block (not the intake), then it could be the sending unit. Take it out and see if oil drips from it.