Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please HELP i can't figure out this noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Apr 10, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Please HELP i can\'t figure out this noise

Since about January, right after I Swapped a 205 inplace of my 203, i have been hearing a chattering noise occasionally. It doesn;t seem to be coming from the t-case, it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine, down below. The noise is like a cha-cha cha, chat chat chat noise. It's not a sticky lifter because the noise is not associated with the engines RPM's. It almost always makes the noise when i turn the key and start the truck and it just cha-chat chats for a few seconds, sometimes longer. But now recently it is happening while i am driving. the noise is always made at the same speed. It makes the noise in park-3rd. I've been able to stick my head under the truck and listen to it and i cannot figure it out. Its a very distinctive noise. And its not an exhaust leak. The noise comes and goes as it pleases, usually more so during the first 5 miutes of driving. And sometimes starts after i go over a bump. please help me asses the noise. It's really embarrsing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and its been getting worse. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Please HELP i can\'t figure out this noise

Motor mount, torque convertor? I have a noise in mine that is only made at idle. I finally found out that it was my steel braided fuel lines scrubbing on the transmission tunnel.

3. 76_Cheyenne

it makes the noise standing still and while moving. Im pretty sure it wouldn't be a motor mount. BUt as far as a torque converter, i don't know how those work and if they make noise when theres something wrong with them. I have steel braided brake lines but there far away from anything like that. This noise is deffinatly coming from something moving inside the engine, or transmission, or torque copnverter?

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have you pulled the 4x shifter boot ? the only truck i ever had with a 205 had that same sound i think. I pulled the boot and drove it and came to the conclusion that it was the t-case. you no gear on gear but thats my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

How close is the front driveshaft to the starter?
    Did the noise start right after the swap or a little bit after? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 76_Cheyenne

The front driveshaft is right below the starter but they're not rubbing. Its not a rubbing noise because it still makes the noise in park. Its a pretty fast noise. It started the first time i put the new t-case in. But when i get under the truck while its running it sounds like its coming way to far up to be the transfer case. if it was gears in the t-case, wouldn't the sound be faster as the truck went faster? also i would think it would make it all the time. Plus the truck deosnt have to be moving for the noise, and since in park no gears are moving i dont think it could be the t-case.

7. 76_Cheyenne

so anyone got an idea? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Could it be your valves tapping???

If the sound is heard while sitting still and going down the road I would think it is something in your engine. I think the T-Case is just coincidence.
    If your oil level is low then you will here your valves chattering.
    -Did you put a lighter weight oil in your truck?
    Maybe try a heavier weight oil.
    -Do you have a set of Rocker Arm oil deflectors?
    With your valve covers off you can snap these on your rocker arms and it deflects the oil so it doesn't shoot all over the place. This way you can hear the valves better and check for a loose valve.

If you find that the sound maybe coming from your valves it could be a number of things.
    Maybe your oil pump is getting weak and it's just not pumping the oil up to the valves as fast as it should hence the sound going away as it warms up.

If it's a metal type of chattering and the noise gets faster if you increase your RPMS then I would put money on the valves.

/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. 76_Cheyenne

Well the sound seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine. Could the oil pump be making such a noise. I've had a sticky valve on my old jeep and its not the same sound. It's not so much a tick, its like a chat-chat chat noise. Next time i drive my truck ill open the hood and listne to see if its coming from the top, but im pretty sure its from below. I'm also using the same wieght oil i always use. 10w-30. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif p.s. Montana truck, im going to school in Missoula. Are there many more k5ers's you know in Montana? we might be able to get a ride going.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

my 205 seems to chatter all the time unless it's engaged
    you sure it's not the tcase

11. 76_Cheyenne

I most need to empahsize that the noise happens while im driving, also when im not. the transfer case is engaged all the time, i don't ever put it in neutral. The noise usually only happens when i first start the truck, and it comes and goes sparaticly during the first part of the drive. The it magically disappears not to be heard the rest of the day.