Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please help! i was playing back yard mechanic again and...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bb87, Jun 10, 2002.

1. bb87

bb87 Newbie

hey guys...
    went to replace my distribuitor cap
    and yeah i messed up the plug order .....\
    what is the next step???? beside a slap in the face?
    please help me out gotta work in the AM

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

ok as you may or may not know the cylenders on the driver side of the block are the odd numbers and even on the passenger side. On the cap the #1 plug wire is going to be close to 6 o'clock depending how yours is timed, it could be anywhere between 5 and 6 o'clock. Then following counter clockwise it goes 2,7,5,6,3,4,8. You might want to pick up a chiltons or a haynes manual. They are very helpful in times like this.

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I would send you an email with a picture, but you didn't fill out your information and I don't have your email address. Look at my profile and send me a message so I can reply to your email with a picture of the firing order.

On your Chevy V8, the firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The distributor rotates clockwise.

Oh yea, and if I had HTML capabilities, I would post a picture here. Looks like you have to be a paying member to get that.

Good luck.

4. bb87

bb87 Newbie

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

on an hei dist cap the number one is right next to the tach output terminal. so if the power wires for the dist are at twelve o'clock then #1 is at 1.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Summit Racing has a great little chart that shows firing order, distributor and plug locations for most V-8's.

Here is a link:V8 Firing order

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That is unless some one droped it in wrong before and then moved the wires to match.

8. bb87

bb87 Newbie

thanks alot! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Unplug the wire going from the coil to the distributor (if its still TBI). If not then just unplug the pink wire going to the distributor. Take out the number #1 plug and have a buddy bump the motor. You'll get a big woosh come out the hole when you're comming around to #1. Then algin your damper until its on 0 degrees. Now pop off your distributor cap and see where your rotor is pointing. Right above that will be the terminal on the cap where #1 would be.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What Blazer Boy said TDC on the compression stroke and the rotor should be pointing at #1. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif