Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help? Is this the correct part? PICS INSIDE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 17, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Has the parts store screwed me over again? They typed in my truck's make and model into their cute little computer system. I got a set of autolite plug wires. I've never bought a set of plug wires for an HEI dizzy before, but is there a difference? I noticed they wire set has one of those cute little miget wires that is supposed to go from the coil to dizzy cap on a points ignition. I have HEI. So will these plug wires set down correctly on my dizzy and plugs?
    thanks soo much :bow: :bow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really appreciate the help. I wanna get out there and put these on the truck, but I don't wanna get them dirty if they aren't correct.
    thanks,
    James

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Looks correct to me!

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

What he said.

4. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

They stick those in there so the set is more universal, just throw that away and stick'em on, dont try and overthink it, good luck

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

HEI distributor caps have a stud, which the spark plug wire snaps onto. The old pionts type distributor caps have a hole, which a spark plug wire with a longer tip slides into the distrubutor cap. Look at the end of the spark plug wire, which connects to the distributor, and see which type of end it has.

6. ryanstrucking

ryanstrucking 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey JAmes.
    Look just like the ones I have.
    IF that answers your questions great, if not sorry..;)

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That short guy's for the coil on the TBI trucks. The coil isn't inside the cap like it is on yours in the 87 and up TBI trucks...it's an external coil. They're the right wires! Just don't use the super short one.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

zip ties help with the long ones !!! thay will work just fine.:wink1:

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Cute boots :D :haha:

10. 78Suburban

Justin ropers, the only thing that feels comfortable to my flat feet. If I'm walking, they are on me (unless I have rubber boots in the mud :D )

Well, I got the old plugs cleaned off and the wires on (some of the wire had a hard time pusing onto the dizzy, just stubborn cheap metal connectors) . Ran out of time, had to go on a date. Will hook up my battery tomorrow and see how it runs with the new wires.

I did notice a little oil on plugs 4, 6, and 7. Could something be not right with my valves? As stated in a previous thread, all cylinders hold between 130 and 150 psi. Could spark jumping from plug to plug have any posibility of getting oil in the cylnder, from firing at a really odd time (I'm just having wishful thinking :o )
    thanks,
    James

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ya sure it was oil? or where they just black?

12. 78Suburban

The threads were wet and so were the electrodes. Smelled of it, smelled like gassy oil. Rubber the threads on my fingers and it left a distinct oil thread pattern on my fingers.
    thanks,
    James

13. ryoken

smoke on start up? probably just got some standard Chevy valve seals going... might wanna check into and keep an eye on that "gassy" situation, don't wanna wash down your cylinders...

i'd pull em again after say, 5, 6 hrs running time and take a peek at the fresh plug...

14. 78Suburban

Well, it was running wicked rich, which I want to blame on ancient plug wires. So I'm guessing I may have washed down the cylinders a little bit. I have noticed some smoke, but so far the only times I have started it up, it was cold out, and very well may have been condensation. I'll see what she does tomorrow, since its in the 70's now.

If its just the valve seals, I can just add oil everynow and then I guess? :eek1:
    thanks,
    James

15. ryoken

yeah, seals aren't much of a big deal.. probably 50% of sb's are running around with bad valve seals or worn guides.. it'll just hammer your plugs a little more.. just add oil as if you had a leak..

tho your far better running rich than lean, this will also wipe plugs out and in extreme cases wash the walls down... might wanna check into it... air/fuel adj, float level, etc...

16. 78Suburban

It Acted EXACTLY the same with a q-jet that came on it, and with my edelbrock performer 600 cfm, that ran supurbly on my '66 283, only about a year ago. I'm wanting to blame the wicked rich condition on an ignition problem, but I'm not really sure. Seems like kinda a longshot that plug wires would make EVERY plug sooty. I'm considering hiring an Exhorsist for my engine :eek1:
    thanks,
    James

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Post a pic of the offending plugs....or, all of them for that matter....