Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help me decide on a steel wheel size.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Sep 1, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok. Im in the middle of a D60 and 14bff swap right now. I am looking to get wheels and tires pretty soon (next week or so). I need help deciding on a wheel size. I will be getting 5 tires and wheels.

Specs:
    D60 Front, SRW
    3/4 14BFF Rear, SRW
    Around a 7" lift front (6" springs, ORD extended shackles)
    Around an 8" lift back (3" springs, ORD extended shackles, 2.5" shackle flip, zero rates)
    ORD Crossover steering (not hi-steer) with HD tie rod ends.
    No hydro

I was going to run around a 37" tire, 12.5-13.5 wide. Most likely Interco SSRs. Looking at BFG Muds and Goodyear MTRs too. Maybe another, dont quite know yet.

I was planning on running 16" wheels to avoid grinding, but Im not that satisfied with the tires and sizes available for 16". I am thinking about grinding down to a 15" now. I dont really want to go with crazy backspacing in or out (~3-4" I guess), but I dont want the tires/wheels to stick out too far. I dont mind trimming the fenders, as long as it looks pretty decent.

Mostly used for trails, and some mud along the way. I dont need anything real wide.

Anyone against grinding?? This is my primary means of transportation.

What should I run? (15x8, 15x10, 16x8, 16x10, backspacing, etc...???)

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

anyone??? :dunno: Im gonno hopefully order them in person next week from National Tire and Wheel. Im still not sure what to get. I need some advice.

Thanks...

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

An 8 inch wide wheel will stick out less if you are worried about that... And I like how the 8's give you more sidewall bulge to protect the tire.... But I've run 10's before too without problems.

On the Diameter, if you dont mind grinding go with 15's. With 16's, if you want to change tire sizes later on, you may run into availability problems. But another option you have for the sizes you listed is 17".

4. 70chevybob

70chevybob Registered Member

If you are not going to be doing any hard wheeling I would sugest the 16" dia wheel. Just because If you decide later that you want to change Wheel style and material. An aluminum wheel will require much more Caliper grinding than a steel wheel and then comes the correct backspacing etc... Also If you decide to add rear disc brakes to the 14bolt then you have 4 callipers to grind on. Mainly the reason people buy 15"rims is that they hold a bead on the Rim better. If you are going to run Lockers and air down to less than 10psi and be in extreme situation where you can break a tire off the bead than 15" wheels will be your best bet. I have used 15X8, 15X10,16x10 and all have been sucessfull but the 15X10 was best for me grinding doen't bother me. Good luck Post some Pics.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have a very similar setup and run 16x10's with Goodyear MTR's.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i just recently put on 15x10 with 4" of backspacing and the tires only stick out about 1-2" past the fender. i got them from summit. the plain white tractor style wheels. good quality. (just dont buy summit made exhaust cutouts...bad quality)

7. FWP

FWP CRS

I vote 15x8. If you ever decide to go to a bigger tire, the 8" wide rim is the poormans beadlock. It works.