Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help me with locking hub problems........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88k5canyon, Oct 20, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

Well I went wheelin' the other day with my buddy in his jeep wrangler and I was all stoked because I was doing hills in 2wd when he had to lock his into 4low to make it up. So anyway my ego was riding pretty high until we got to a hill that I knew would definately need 4wd, so I put it in 4 low then locked in the hubs and started up the hill and I was crawling right up it no problem when all of the sudden I heard a loud pop and then I lost power to the front wheels. So naow I'm thinking "crap I broke a U-joint" so I get out and check under my rig and notice that nothing is broken so I hop back in and take it out of 4wd and drove it a little then put it back in and it all engaged right again so I headed up the hill and at the same place when it really started flexin' and I had to get on the skinny pedal a little bit it did it again. These are stock hubs and aren't greased or sealed very well, anyone have any ideas of what my problem could be? Do I need new hubs, If so what brand and model. Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    David /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Have not run into that problem, my advice is to get a Chilton or Haynes manual, tear em down and look at them. If they are not broken, clean, regrease and put them back on. If they are or your not sure, slap on a new set of warns and be done with it.

Depdog

3. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

definitely go with warns.... i beat the crap out of my 1/2 ton front axle and the hubs just wont break... imo theyre the best for your money

4. 88k5canyon

So do you think this will fix my popping out of 4wd problem, if so how much and what model of Warns?
    Thanks
    David

5. 88k5canyon

Allright I found Some nice "premium" warn hubs and am planning on buying them, my question is do I need internal or external mounting hubs? I have 10 bolt axles.
    Thanks
    David
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its an internal design. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    John