Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help my K5 is stuck in a parking lot.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Krase, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Krase

Krase Registered Member

First off it is about 25 degrees outside, got in it tonight, and it would not start right up, it would just crank, after two tries it did turn over, ( i thought it was just cold) well drove about twenty minutes parked for a couple of hours when i left it turned over just fine on first try, stopped at video store and no start, just sits and cranks, it has battery power, and all plug wires are on tight, i will change them out tomorrow, but i dont think that is it. Can anyone give me a headstart on maybe what to be looking for, as i said it will sit and crank for all its worth but will not turn over. Thanks For any help

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I see that you have tbi. Can you hear the fuel pump working when you turn the key on? If you don't hear a high pitched whine, maybe your fuel pump is shot??

3. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem happen to me. Check the electronic control module in the distributor.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Take a lug wire out and put it up against a bolt or something it will arc to...check and make sure there is a spark...if not, check the ignition module and pick up coil in the distributor, and the coil...the modules like to go out, pick ups go out every now and then. As for the fuel pump, try and hear for it when you turn the ignition on, or look in the TBI for gas spraying in...if its not starting and it smells like gas really bad, it wont be your fuel pump anyway.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check for two thinks.

Fuel and Spark.

Are you getting both to the engine?

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

If you suspect the fuel pump get someont to shoot some starting fluid or drip some gas down into the tbi. If it starts up for a few seconds then it's the pump.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Check the electronic control module in the distributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excelent idea. Same thing happened to me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I had a similar situation on a friend of mines truck this weekend. her fuel pump was pumping fuel but just not enought pressure for the tbi. So i would do like everyone else has said check for fuel and spark but dont be fooled by a pump that you can hear. be sure to check the pressure.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats why i like to look in the TBI and see if gas is actually getting there

10. eatsjeeps

eatsjeeps Registered Member

Finally Something I might be able to HELP WITH!!!! Sorry
    Just went through this with my 89 burb after trouble shooting the tbi and all related items, connections and issues. I then checked for spark. No spark Changed coil and only got a few starts. So I started over with the help of this board and the sugestion from "Muddytazz", started looking at ground issues started at the starter went to the coil and then to the Distributer. What I found was that the control modual had come loose or the P.O. had never really tightened it down. I tightened the two screws for it and have had no problems since.
    Hope this helps.
    Marty

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would check the distributor module..Most auto parts stores like Napa, Checker, autozone will check the module for free if you pull it out and bring it in.
    On some fuel injection systems if the computer doesn't see a signal from the dist module it shuts off the fuel pump to keep the engine from flooding when there is no spark. If yours is like this you may not see any gas coming out the injectors.

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my fuel for the same thing....good thing I have AAA

13. eatsjeeps

eatsjeeps Registered Member

SO is it running yet and if it is what was wrong?