Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help, my tailgate is leaking water......Big Time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zx672, Apr 26, 2004.

1. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

This post will sound really stupid, but everytime it rains really hard, the inside of my tailgate leaks water into the inside of the cab. Did not want to post because it seems like an easy problem. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif It is like the inside of the tailgate is filling up with water and then overflowing through the plate (bottom part) that allows you to access the window regulator. Has anyone had this problem before? I checked to make sure nothing was clogging the drain holes and the seals on the plate look good. The weather strippin on the outside is brand new...(Tailgate was painted recently and the body shop put it on for me, looks ok) I do not know what else could be causing the problem. Please help...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

Had the same problem. I took the access panel off, and picked up a roll of camper tape weatherstripping (about $5 at Home Depot). Cleaned off all the edges of the inside, and put on the tape. I may have even put some on the tailgate itself on the inside. Then put the panel back on, and you're done. Mine hasn't leaked at all since I did it.

Steven

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Have someone stand outside with a hose and squirt around the tailgate while you stay inside and watch where it's coming in.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I might be off base on your way of thinkin but how is the windshield wiper lookin rubber on the top of the gate that contacts the glass? I know mine is trashed cuz it's all in pieces and the "carpet" gets wet on the inside.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan