Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help....troubleshooting stalling problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bear

bear Registered Member

I have an 83 K5 with a 305 V8, 2.5 lift, and 33's, Edelbrock carb........

Here's the trouble......when I really hit the gas, it starts misfiring and sputtering. On the way to work this morning, I pulled out onto the highway and had to floor it to merge, and she totally died. She cranked right back up, but I almost got creamed. At slower speeds and with less throttle she runs great.

I have checked the carb, and it doesn't seem to be running too rich or too lean, and I have checked all of the spark plug wires and they are all relatively new and are connected well.

So, what do you guys think I should check next? New spark plugs?

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I hate to state the obvious, but it sounds like it's starving for fuel. When's the last time the fuel filter was changed?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might need a tune up

It might need a good tune up if it hasnt had one for awhile,also check your timing and vacuum advance--your carb might need an accelerator pump by the sound of your symptoms,that will make it want to bog and stall under acceleration,but run ok when cruising...also if you have had any severe cold weather followed by a warm spell,some condensation might have formed in the gas tank--a can or two of dry-gas wont hurt...:crazy:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When did this start ? After carb install or work ? Try the other front vacuum port to your advance on distributor :k5: :k5:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

definitely gotta be lack of fuel volume problem, check filter in carb and.or inline, and for kink/bend in line hose at frame near pump, check oil for fuel in it too,

6. bear

bear Registered Member

Thanks for all of the advice........and to elaborate, the problem did begin after a recent cold snap.....and I also had some carb work done to get it to pass emissions, although I did readjust the carb back to its original settings. I will check the connection to the distributor and will try a can of dry-gas. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks again for all of the help

7. bear

bear Registered Member

Alright guys.........I used a can of Dry Gas, replaced fuel filter, checked hoses and connections. Still stalling and sputtering when at full throttle.

What next???

Please help!!!!!:confused:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Only at full throttle??

If it only does it at full throttle,or under a load like climbing a hill or on takeoff,it could be starving for fuel,check the fuel pump pressure and volume--the accelerator pump can make it want to bog out or die while accelerating,but should not affect the cruise or wide open throttle performance...You could have weak spark that is failing under load too,a cracked coil or defective pick up coil in the distributor can cause similar symptoms...make sure the EGR valve is working right and its vacuum hose is connected to the right port too...check the advance weights inside the distributor too,make sure they are free and not all rusty,grab the rotor and twist it,it should snap back under spring tension if the advance weights are working properly.check the timing with a timing light with the vacuum advance hose off and plugged,and with it connected,to make sure the vacuum advance is working.:crazy:

Its probably going to take some time to figure this problem out,because so many things can cause it,with the same symptoms...and its hard to diagnose them over the internet without actually seeing the vehicle---but if you are patient and keep looking,its bound to show up sooner or later,and its usually something not too hard to fix once you find it--unless it turns out to be a bad valve or camshaft lobe,or timing chain--then it sucks to fix.....:frown1: