Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help with disc brake conversion questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Jul 5, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I just found a cracked drum on my 12 bolt. Both drums are 21 years old, so I'm guessing the other one needs to be changed too. Checked the pricing and found out they are VERY expensive. So there's a perfect excuse for converting to disc brakes, right? I don't have the money to buy a bolt-on kit from stainlesssteelbrakes.com or TSM so I think I'll go with the Cadillac El Dorado stuff

From what I've read, El Dorado calipers will work fine, and a little grinding will allow me to continue using 15" wheels, right? Are the El Dorado rotors the ones I need too? Remember I'm talking about a 12 bolt here.

I don't think I will have any luck finding any backing plates in my country, so I was thinking, is it possible to have a shop make a pair of backing plates for me? or is this not safe? They look simple to me. (see pic)

[​IMG]

Maybe I could even have the shop make the backing plates for Blazer calipers instead of Eldorado calipers?

Thanks for your help.

DISCLAIMER: That pic belongs to Corey-88K5 [​IMG]

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Actually, the rotors are those from a Fullsize Blazer. The only difference is they use the 2wd version. I had to mill the axle's to get them to fit inside the rotors though. It wasn't any thing very serious. With a 12blt, you may not have to do any work like that though. Another thing, the bracket isn't all that complex. Though I'm sure that it will have to be very close to exact. You may want to contact TSM, thats where I got my kit from. The price wasn't all that bad. I don't have their number, but doing a search in this forum will net it for you. One last thing, you won't have to grind the calipers to fit.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks Corey. Why didn't I just ask YOU first? duh![​IMG]

Rotor from 2wd Blazer? I thought those came with 5 lugs only? Any specific years? How much did you pay for the kit? I heard it was in the $700s but I may be wrong. What did it include?

How did it go with the non-breaking problem you posted a few days ago? Did you feel a big difference in stopping power? Any hidden costs?

Thanks again.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]