Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please help with shift kit install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rustbucket, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Registered Member

I finally got around to trying to put in my b&m shift improver kit today. Everything was going great until it was time to disassemble the pressure regulator valve part. I got the c-clip out and the directions say the sleeves and valves should fall out in your hand. After 4 hours of poking at it with every finger, and little magnet me and my neighbor own, the damn thing is still in there. I really need to fix this tomorrow. Has this ever happened to anyone else. The thing is loose, cause I can push it in and even turn it a little bit. The book said a couple hours and here I spent my whole day and what looks like tomorrow too. I hope this is common and someone has an answer for me. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah, it's a 91 blazer with a 700r4 in it, at least half of one right now.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Is that the valve that's in the housing? If it is, have you tried tapping on the case with a hammer to knock it loose? I did this a while back and mine came out pretty easy. It's probably just cocked at a slight angle in there. If you can see it, take a screw driver and push it up and try to move it over a little bit.

Rick

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If this is the piece i think you are talking about.... I had this same problem when i went to put in a shift kit... no matter what i did i couldn't get that valve to come out of the bore... It won't just "fall" out of there either, if you get it loose there's a spring behind it so it should come SHOOTING out of there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't stick your face right in front of it while working on it.
    You can take the oil pump off the front of the transmission and then poke something through the other side to push it out, but if it is in the truck bolted up to the engine then that isn't really an option.
    What i did to my TH400 when i couldn't get the valve out... You probably don't want to hear this, but i busted out the drill and drilled a small hole into the end of the valve... then i crossthreaded a really small bolt into that hole and grabbed onto it with a pair of pliers... i think i had to use a claw hammer to leverage it out, like pulling out a nail...
    Then once i got it out, I took that valve with the hole i drilled, and bolt sticking out of it- down to the local transmission shop where it cost me a whole $5 to get a new one of those valves. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif