Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please help with starter switch.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 20, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I am trying to figure out how to get to the starter switch on my 85 gmc jimmy with tilt steering. I already did a post on this subject and I had a reply that said that you can unbolt the steering column and it will slide down to give you room to reach the starter switch thats located on the top of the steering column under the dash. So I did this and the column wont come down it will just slide upwards a little bit. The nuts that I undid were ther two under the dash that are connected to ttwo bolts one on each side of the column that go up under the speedometer and gas gauges but then they have a plate that blocks the column from sliding downwards. Im confused all I wanna do is change this swithc and go home for the day. please help.

2. JimmyJuneau

anyone anyone please help im aa little confused

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've replaced several ignition switches. You just take off the horn cap, steering wheel, etc. It's not very hard. Once you get the steering wheel off you can see what you have to do to get the switch out. A steering wheel puller helps - not too pricy either.

4. JimmyJuneau

Its not the ignition switch though its the starter switch. iheard it was on top of the column under the dash but I can get too it anyone have any ideas?

5. azblazor

I am not aware of a "starter Switch". There is a starter solenoid on top of the starter. Maybe you are talking about the switch that interrupts the circuit to the soleniod if the truck is not in park or neutral - thats called the "park/neutral" switch?? If that is the one you are talking about - you can get to it without moving anything except the dashboard plate beneath the steering column. If its bad just pull the connector and short the wires with a stout piece of wire. The wire from the switch should have a heavy pink wire with black stripe on it. Short that one to the other one in the connector and it should start if that switch is the problem.

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The starter switch is on top of the column, connected to a rod that goes to the lock cylinder.
    The column should drop down enough to get at the switch.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think you've replaced several lock cylinders, not the actual switch itself. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The actual switch is operated by a rod that runs down the top of the column, to the switch that is located on top of the column, under the dash. The lock cylinder turns a rack and pinion gear set that moves the rod. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. azblazor

I think you're right.