Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

please....help....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 2, 2001.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i am seriously screwed...my truck is almost dead. it is the same problem as before...at high speed (40mph is what it is down to) the engine feels like it wants to die...not quit...die. I have changed the carb, the fuel pump, filters, u name it. if anyone has any idea please...PLEASE let me know...anything you have put on a napkin, ideas, rumors you heard from your bother-in-law, anything...wires seems fine, plug read good, timing is good...tranny was just check by a shop & he said it was the the tranny doing it....*shakes head*
    thanks for any help

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Does this happen every time you get to 40MPH? Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold?

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

does it have a cat converter, if so have you checked that. when they are going bad it can cause a major loss of power.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

could be the headlight fluid reservior, but it could also be a vacuum line, or better yet IGNITION, does it die at 40 mph, or just a certain rpm under load. did you do the coil, plug, wires, cap rotor, and did you check the vacuum advance??

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

5. compression check?? plugs fouled?

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

it is worse after it is hot. It is an HEI so no coil. all hoses in good shape...repaced a heater hose to make all of them good. It was build in Ohio so there is no cats or much smog equipment compared to the Calif. models. BTW Headlight Fuild Resiviour is full...the onlything i can think of is buy a Unilite distributor with a mechanical advance. had one on my camaro and never had to touch it after the inital install. new wires might be needed just for the sake of crossing one more item off the gremlin list...

-Zakk

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Definately check your vacuum advance. That will mess up all kinds of stuff. And it's cheap to replace. About 16 bucks.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

it does it off and on...there is not rhyme or reason to it...the only requirement is the trucks got to me moving. If i mash the gas or hit high speed it will do it...would that eliminate or incriminate a vacuum advance hose?

-Zakk

9. Msquared

Msquared Registered Member

I'm leaning ignition at this point too, I don't know what else to check....

-Marcus
    -Just me, trying to have fun

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

we have replaced everything else, it is the only thing left! lol is the 'stang still running hot? did you bring it back to skool with you?
    BTW Rita wants a Samuari so she can go wheeling too...guess where we are doing the spring over conversion...=o)
    lemme know about tony this weekend...

-Zakk

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Have you checked the distributor module, The coil, or the magnetic pickup coil? Beings it gets worse after it warms up it sounds like it could be an ignition problem. More heat = more resistance. Many auto parts stores such as Napa, will check the dist module for free.
    You do have a coil. it is located on top of the dist. It can be checked for resistance through the primary and secondary windings.The magnetic pickup in the distributor may also be bad.
    Here's one more fuel related thing to check:There is a strainer on the fuel pickup line in the fuel tank sometimes it gets clogged. Blowing air pressure back through the fuel line will usually unclog it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>