Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please Help !!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Nov 8, 2001.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> We just bought a Dodge Grand Caravan SE used from a Saturn dealership ......... It's a 98 with 30,000 miles on it and extremely clean, but here's the issue ..........We did all the paper work on Tuesday night and it was final so when we went to go home with it the salesman said he'd pull it up for us ....... well, it didn't start so they decided to keep it and look at it, it turned out to be a bad alternator so they got a new one and replaced the battery as well for the inconvenience. We picked it up tonight after work and I drove it home and it rode great and all that. An hour or so later we went to go eat supper in it and on the way to the resteraunt, the service engine soon light came on ..........we called them back and it's going to get looked at tomorrow while we're at work. Now on to the question : What could it be ? Does something need to be reset after having the battery and alternator replaced ? Also, the engine ticks a bit now but never did when we looked at it, could this also be caused by the work done to it ? Would something be affecting the timing a bit due to the work that was done ? Any and all ideas on this would be appreciated . It's a beautiful van and in awesome condition except for these occurances.......... I feel it's just something minor because of the work done but not that versed in that stuff.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the check light, grounded bad maybe? My aunt had a van like that, and it ticked too. Hers ended up to be a bearing going bad in the p/s pump, but it could be anything.

Got Dirt?

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

NO!

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, couldn't resist. I've got no idea what is wrong, just had to "return the favor". [​IMG][​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Man I would take it back and find another car. A vehicle with that many problems with only 30 k miles may be a lemon.
    There may be a reason the milage is so low, It may have spent all its life in the shop. I dont mean to sound so negative But from my own experience, I have found that lemons go sour right from the start.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> That's why I'm checking, since we got it at a Saturn dealer we can get 100% of our money back within the next 7 days if we're not happy with it .

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Makes you wonder why someone traded it in with only 30k on it, eh, Kev?

I'm sticking with my old trucks.......easy to diagnose, easy to fix!!!![​IMG]

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Ticking... well Dodge junk always ticks. The check engine light could be very very minor. The newer Dodges and Chryslers act really funny with a badly charged battery. Personally take it back and get your down payment back. I stongly suggest a mini-van other then a Dodge or Chrysler

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I think the '98 caravans are clean rides, from my experience (fairly-limited).

Alternators and batterys go bad, thats just the way they are, really not a big deal and should be expected at some point in a vehicles life. Also, "lot-rot" can cause a battery to be depleted, It might have been stting for awhile with-out being driven normaly as it was intewnded to be.

96 and newer are equiped with OBDII. This sys will run a bunch of self-tests related too emissions and will light the SES light if they fail. It could be as simple as a loose or faulty gas cap or as complicated as a faulty injector. If the light is related to an emissions fault, than it should be covered by the federaly mandated 5 year 50 thousand mile warranty. So, take it to a Dodge dealer for Diag only, they may also have bullitins, recalls or up-dates, that maybe related to your vehcile. If it is out of that relm, then get the Saturn dealer to take care of it as they should and will. (they do not want you to be not-happy, trust-me)

If you are unhappy with the car, bring it back. Also, check out the "lemon-laws" in your state. (I honestly doubt it will come to that!)

Honestly;
    You did aw-right with a '98 caravan, I have nothing against them. They seem to be O.K. in my eyes. (all-though I'd like to see 'ya in a Astro or Venture - just 'cause) Don't freak-out, what you are going throgh is to be expected with any "new" car purchase. Relax and enjoy..

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Look in your owners manual and see if you can run a diagnostic on it with the check engine light. It may have a key sequence that will allow you to use the flashcode to determine what is wrong with it. (unless it is already at the dealer)

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo>http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo</a>

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a Dodge Neon (same general engine set up)... when I had a ticking sound it was the water pump.... I am not sure but I think it's the same type of set up on your van as my car. The timing belt runs off the water pump.... one goes out the other could get trashed. Or it could be the power steering. Mine is now ticking and I will replace it this weekend. Stinking thing decided to die with the solenoid! ARGH! They are all in the same basic area. I had my water pump seize not too long ago and shred the timing belt. Suck! I was lucky the belt didn't destroy the values! But anyhow I'd check out those things.... could be one of them even on a van with 30,000. Heck the previous owner could have beat it down so you never can tell.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I was going to try the flashcode thing , but it was late last night ad we're dropping it off at the dealership this morning so it's in their court. We'll just have to see what it is when they call us on it.

L8r,

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The flash code thing only works on most vehicles that were made before 95.. After 95 most vehicles went ot a OBDII computer system and you need a code computer to read the codes. Those comps are around $250!

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

14. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

make sure the dealer adds however many days its in the shop to your return period.
    and it sounds like you might be able to get him to throw in a thirty day, "everything covered" kinda garrantee. that way, if a problem related to the electrical system pops up in eight days, you're not screwed. from what i hear aboot saturn, they really want the customer to be happy, so writing off a used dodge van is nothing but good business practice to them.
    hope it works out, i'm sure it cost a chunk of money. hate to see money wasted on unreliable transportation, when you coulda dropped a big-block in the blazer for a lot less!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

15. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Riz...take it back and get your money back.

I'd get a little 4 door blazer if I were you. Those minivans are just trouble. They aren't built well at all! My inlaws had one. They replaced 6 transaxles and when they sold it, it was needing another (only had first gear) and they had cooling problems with it and so on.

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

16. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

just another sujjestion, but you can take the vin # to a dodge dealer and they should be able to run a service history for the vehicle you have. this way you can tell what problem areas it has had in the past. this could really help you determine if you want the dealer to fix it or reurn it.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gut feeling here (so take it for what it's worth). Take it back. I have many mechanic friends who are not too fond of Dodges (they like the look but as far as mechanically sound they hate them). My girlfriend's (her CK5 name is NoAngel) brother is a mechanic and he actually forbid his mom (imagine that [​IMG]) from buying a Dodge mini-van, just ask her about it. Their mother wound up buying a F*rd instead, but knock on wood no-problems (other than a faulty head gasket that F*rd replaced). The family down the street from me has a Chrysler mini-van (2000 I believe) and I saw it being hauled to the garage on a flatbed the other day. Now any manufacturer can have a lemon, but it seems like Dodge is consistently the worst, especially in the mini-van department. Again take it for what it's worth, and good luck with whatever you choose.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

18. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I bought my wife a '01 F*rd Windstar the end of last year. The only thing I've done to it is change the oil and rotate the tires a few times.

It carries loads of kids (she stays at home with my boys and watches a few other kids) everyday and she is hard on it; 17K in one year.

We looked at the Dodge and when the "S.E.S." light came on in a test drive on TWO vehicles, that was enough for me to leave and never look back.

Hopefully they can fix it for you...

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

19. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Re: Please Help !!!!! *DELETED*

Post deleted by Grim-Reaper

20. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Thanks Delta ......... if we keep it we're for sure going to add the shop days on .............. Canmore, there are a lot of 98's on the lots now a days because of the 3 year leases they offer. And with all the deals on new ones for 0% interest, people are more apt to trade in one with 30,000 miles to get into a new one with around the same payment. The industry seems to be on a 3 year cycle due to the lease programs........ next year there will be a large amount of 99's to be had for the same reason.

L8r,