Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Alaskan85K5, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Alaskan85K5

Alaskan85K5 Registered Member

Okay I've built sidepanels, Jenson 600watt amp, 2 JL 10W0 (they sold me 8ohm, said with the amp bridged it would only look like a 4ohm load??) Anyway here's the problem. Basically it sounds like crap. The Bass seems kind of washed out or something not snappy. Does that make sense??

I believe there are two possible reasons for this:

1) The problem is my side panels aren't sealing good enough?

2) My older Alpine Deck didn't have pre-amp outputs so I had to install a Scosche FAI-3 (http://www.scosche.com/scosche/electronic/FAI3.asp) which hooks to my speaker outputs and levels it out (0-2 volts) to pre-amp RCA plugs. Maybe this this isnt all its cracked up to be and is making it sound crappy?

So what are my options? I'd like to try and "seal" the side panel the best I can before I go out and buy a new deck (although I have my eye on the JVC KD-SH99). So what have others with side panels done? I really don't want to have to build complete boxes. I don't want to give up any space that I don't have to. I'm not looking for anything perfect here I just want it to sound good. I mainly listen to Rock and Country no Boom, Boom RAP stuff.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to seal these things up better? My only though so far was glueing some camping foam or weather stripping around the all the edges of the panels do you think this would help at all???

Check out my K5 <a href="http://www.jeremias.net/photoalbum/?path=The%20Family%2FJasons%20K5%20Blazer"> Here! </a>

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Your #1 problem is the fact the panels are not sealed 100%. I have used the line level converters in the past and have not had a problem with sound quality. If you can figure out a way to seal them off and stuff some polyfill behind there to fake out the sub to think there is more air volume than there really is, you should be hitting hard...

3. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Yea, as long as you hook it up parallel your amp will see 4 ohms. Try siliconing the box up, it needs to be airtight to provide proper bass. If you get a KD-SH99, don't pay more than $260 for em. I've seen some places trying to get $400 for those suckers!

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate to ask the obvious question but....

Are you using a crossover for the subwoofer amp to ensure that only low frequency information is going into them?

Running subwoofers "full range" will definitely sound like crap.... If you have the crossover part right, then I'd say investigate the issues already mentioned. An enclosure that leaks is NO GOOD.....you're going to have to make a committment to fix that setup if you want the best possible sound.

Step 2: Get a better head unit when the budget allows. Using speaker level outputs and an 'adapter' is pretty cheesy and you will be missing out on a lot of sound quality....even if you resolve the other issues listed above. Be sure to look for a deck that has pre-amp outputs capable of at LEAST 4 volts. There are some out there with 5.5 volts, and I think I even saw one with 6.5 volts. Those will REALLY help the dynamics and improve your signal-to-noise ratio (ie: immunity from alternator whine in the speakers, distortion from too much amplifier gain, etc)

Hope that gets you started....! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>